interior panel retoration dry chalkin can it be fixed?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NG8264723

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang f code MACHI
Purchased in 1997 or so
Has anyone repaired the dry chalking that happened to these panels? I have a set in my wife's car. I was thinking of gently bead blasting then paint. I know the grain will b gone but I don't have a choice. Is there a repro set for the fold down seat

I think some of the members here have found a pretty good solution. As you say remove all the chalking top layer. They used a type of paint that went on something like bed liner, very rough, do a search for thread. Then sanded to take the round balls down and then painted interior color. Looks much better than the scratched up panels. What color of rear panels do you need? Mustang junk yard in N.C. has several fold downs in there and some panels look pretty good. I find that the North East U.S. has the best interior panels. Not as much heat and sun. California and south west have the worst all crusty.

On my Mach 1 parts car, it has been open and exposed to the elements for years and I noticed the chalky appearance of the interior pieces went along with the same material being extremely brittle - almost like an egg shell. I would think you'd need to reinforce the back side of the the panel with some type of coating then maybe spray on a coating to build up outside surface and seal. Sort of like a thinner bedliner coating compatible with plastics???? I'd sure want to practice on some junk panels first!

The interior pieces were from Mich would should of been fine but they need help! I did search but could not find any threads. I searched chalked panels or something like that. Can someone post a link to the thread?

About fifteen years ago I discovered an excellent method.

Fine grit sand in the sandblaster removed all white decroated plastic and what remained looked like a new plastic part.

No painting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back