1973mustang hood paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973QcodeC6

Reaction score
My Car
BOUGHT NEW IN 1973
This is a page out of an old Mustang Monthly magazine I used and if printed out on 8 1/2 by 11 paper the curve is correct. I have step by step photos of doing mine and it upsets me to see so many that are wrong.73hoodstencil.jpg

This is a page out of an old Mustang Monthly magazine I used and if printed out on 8 1/2 by 11 paper the curve is correct. I have step by step photos of doing mine and it upsets me to see so many that are wrong.
For the concourse type restoration, it is best to do some initial basic side to side measurements if your hood blackout is original, as the factory did not always center the stencil when applying the blackout. Mine was off center by 3/8" as a reference.

Last edited:
Agree to see so many that are terribly wrong.

We have a bunch of threads on this subject. I think there even some issues with that MM page. Use the search in the upper left of every page to find those threads.

Pastel Blue (above) has gone great lengths to make sure his is right. He has been involved in some of the related discussions.

Good luck.

When you do yours please put it in the center. The only reason the factory ones are off is they had less than 2 min. at each station to completer their task so precision was not part of the job, eyeball was their measurement.

As was stated there was a recent thread on this and in it someone stated the layout is incorrect. I sent a member a rub off of an original factory hood and he used it to have a wrap made to install his. He thread was just up showing the pics last week so very recent. He actually passed on the rub template to another member.

When you do yours please put it in the center. The only reason the factory ones are off is they had less than 2 min. at each station to completer their task so precision was not part of the job, eyeball was their measurement.

As was stated there was a recent thread on this and in it someone stated the layout is incorrect. I sent a member a rub off of an original factory hood and he used it to have a wrap made to install his. He thread was just up showing the pics last week so very recent. He actually passed on the rub template to another member.
This would work if you are not looking to maintain the factory original installation, the choice would be dependent on what you are trying to achieve with your build and/ or restoration.

Back