Anybody think a separate concours section on the board would be neat?

Bentworker

Question

Anybody think a separate concours section on the board would be neat?

I have not been active on the board that long, but one thing I have noticed is that there are tons of concours “correct” questions scattered all over the board. Someone might ask what the correct paint markings / sticker / stamp / finish / color / code / number is for something in the aesthetics section, or the engine section, or the suspension section. Questions seem to be everywhere on the forum, and not always where they might attract the attention of someone in the know.

Peter

18 answers to this question

At first I was on the fence about this one. There is already a Concourse Mustang website but it, like many others it is just not near as active as our site here. And since I'd consider myself a quasi-purist researcher wanna-be historian I think I could contribute some. :D

So because of the great participation of so many enthusiastic owners and fans of the 71-3 Mustangs I am in!

::thumb::

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

And it's not to say that everyone on this site wants to have a concourse Mustang, but it would be nice to have information to fit our needs. I for one will be detailing my car out as close to concourse as possible but with my own twist.

John

There is a concours mustang forum dedicated exactly to that, covering all years. They do not turn up their noses on 7123's.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/

That was also my first thought on the subject. This forum may be able to focus in on some details the Concourmustang.com has not addressed, but in the end it should be a dual reference.

One thing that strikes me is that the Concoursmustang.com is pretty much the basis of MCA standards very much focused on factory original aspects. 7173mustangs.com is a little more free-wheeling with great enthusiasm for all aspects of these models, but I'm not sure many of the MCA Gold Card judges for 71-73 may even be aware or pay much attention to 7173mustangs.com due to the incredible diversity of subject matter.

Guest Pastel Blue

I have found the other site to be less then enthusiastic about the '71`-73 model years when it comes to concourse issues for these cars. They focus mainly on the pre-'71 'stangs. They do have some very knowledgeable people, but again, concentrating on the pre- '71 cars. Just my personal observation from spending some time there.

I frequent our board and the Concourse board as often as I can. I would agree with the others that the Concourse group is a very knowledgeable group in that area. They do tend to focus more on the earlier years, but their tips and techniques can be used to obtain the factory finishes and other valuable restoration information. I would agree having a concourse section on our site may create a little more specific focus for our years and offer a little more latitude in the degree that a person wants to go original.

Ray does have a wealth of original materials and specifications that would be ideally suited for a concourse area. I would also be glad to support the area with what things I have gained over the years. With the knowledge base we have here I think we could make a big impact towards concourse correct information and support.

Let the greater group and administrators make the final call, but I would support it anyway I can.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

My car will never be even close to concours, but I really appreciate the attention to detail and dedication of the owners whose cars are.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

There is a concours mustang forum dedicated exactly to that, covering all years. They do not turn up their noses on 7123's.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/

That was also my first thought on the subject. This forum may be able to focus in on some details the Concourmustang.com has not addressed, but in the end it should be a dual reference.

One thing that strikes me is that the Concoursmustang.com is pretty much the basis of MCA standards very much focused on factory original aspects. 7173mustangs.com is a little more free-wheeling with great enthusiasm for all aspects of these models, but I'm not sure many of the MCA Gold Card judges for 71-73 may even be aware or pay much attention to 7173mustangs.com due to the incredible diversity of subject matter.

Bill,

I am a Gold Card judge for 71 - 73 Concouse Mustangs and also a member of this site. I've never professed to know ever thing and am always looking to improve my self. So I do pay attention to this site as well as others.

I'm fortunate to be the original owner of my Mach, so I've got a good reference point to start.:)

FYI, I ll be judging this weekend up your way at the MCA show up on Goats Island by the falls. Maybe see you there.

Mac

Not interested in making my car a concours restoration, but I see lots of questions that belong in that type of sub forum. I believe it would make a great addition and would minimize the likelihood of bad information being inadvertently supplied.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Wow that would be awesome if this was here! I now that my Mustang is not right in color. But it would be great to have this information on this site. Because of the fact it is never easy to get it done right! Because of there are so many different types of color card's around. But never easy to find out what is the right one for your year and model! Which is so important to many of us here. 😎[WINKING FACE][THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Bill,

I am a Gold Card judge for 71 - 73 Concouse Mustangs and also a member of this site. I've never professed to know ever thing and am always looking to improve my self. So I do pay attention to this site as well as others.

I'm fortunate to be the original owner of my Mach, so I've got a good reference point to start.:)

FYI, I ll be judging this weekend up your way at the MCA show up on Goats Island by the falls. Maybe see you there.

I apologize since no slight was intended. PM sent. Actually I'm looking forward to meeting Pastel Blue and yourself over the weekend as well as so many other mustang enthusiasts for all the years....my 73 vert is sitting this one out so my 69 vert can make an appearance.

Guest Pastel Blue

I was around and initially involved with the start up of the 429 mega site in the mid 90's. I had actually just finished restoring my pewter Mach 1 429 CJ Mustang before the start up of that site. It did not start out as a concourse site at the time, just a reference site for all things 429 Mustang and soon after Cougar. John Blair was the moderator and he did a fantastic job keeping things in line and ensuring the information added to the site was relevant and had been researched and verified as best as possible. It evolved into a site that allowed many 429 owners to update their cars to a higher standard for those wanting to go more factory.

A similar 71/73 Concourse section here would be a fine addition to the site as there is no real 71/3 Concourse reference out there that I am aware of. It should be moderated properly to ensure that accurate information is added. Current Forum MCA 71/73 judges are an obvious choice to review as per MCA specifications, but I would also vouch for Ray as the keeper off the gate..., when ensuring the information added is not only show car relevant, but Factory relevant. Like Ray (and Brian), I am always looking for the factory original approach to the restoration of my current BB vert.

We should set out the parameters of what the Concourse Section on this site will hope to achieve. Strictly MCA specifications or other possible criteria.

Just my thoughts...

Very good point in specifying what the standard will be on the site. From the top of my mind I would think the MCA rules would be the best foundation to start from. I know this group has validated some variations from the current rules standard over the years so it would probably be a good idea to put together some know variations. Lets get the forum up with Rocketfoots superior magic powers and then we can dive into it. Other ideas?

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)