Steering Box-Steering Column Mismatch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
My new steering column came. I have a problem with fitting. It seems that i have a steering box "remanufatured in the USA". The fittings that came with the steering column will not fit over the steering box shaft or splines. Its radius is not big enough and has no collar fitted on the outer side.

First picture shows old one in foreground and new one behind. The splines on the steering box DO NOT go all the way around the shaft sticking out the steering box. The new fitting that came with the column has splines all the way round. :huh:

So, has WCCC sent me wrong fitting or has the car been fitted with a steering box from a differant year? :huh:

20160721_155130.jpg

20160721_155220.jpg

20160721_155227.jpg

20160721_155622.jpg

20160721_155629.jpg

Looking on Ebay It looks like my STEERING COLUMN SHAFT COUPLING is from a 1973-74. This image matches pic 2 and 4 which came from my old steering column.

So i am assuming my power steering box is from a 1973-74.

Would that summation be correct?

And how can i rectify my problem?

In picture 1 the new coupling at the back has 2 raised shoulders that fit in between the shoulders of the coupling on the opposite side of the rubber- Picture 4. There are no shoulders on the dirty old one in the front of the picture.

CAN I USE MY OLD COUPLINGS WITHOUT SHOULDERS? :huh: :shootself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121287786256?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What does the end of your column look like? Also how many splines are on your steering box (counting splines that would be there if the flat wasn't cut off)?

This might help a bit too,

Steering coupler thread, 13/16' X 36 splines
The old bolts are metric equivelant 10MM. The new bolts are 12MM metric equivelant.

The old coupling will fit on the new column.

So if the old coupling without shoulders from a 1973-4 fits on the new 1971 steering column is it ok to use?

I'm more worried about you having reliable steering if the rag joint failed. The mustang couplers I have seen are like your old one. There is a 9/16" diameter pin at the 12 O'clock position and a 5/16" diameter pin at the 6 O'clock position. These two pins are riveted through the rubber coupling to the splined cast piece that attaches to the steering box input shaft. The rubber coupling gets bolted to the steering column flange and the pins extend towards the steering column and go into some slots that are cut in the flange at the end of the column. That way if the rubber part fails you still have your steering wheel connected to the steering gear, because the pins will make contact with the slots.

I think if you mix and match parts with the other style coupling you have you will not retain this feature. Your other coupler is more like a love joy coupler, and uses two 160 degree pie shaped interlocking pieces to securely connect the steering wheel to the box if the rubber section fails. If you mix and match the two different types of couplers you will not have any sort of backup if the rubber fails.

If your rebuilt column has the bolt holes at 9 and 3 O'clock, a large 11/16" ish slot at the 12 O'clock position and a smaller 7/16" ish slot at the 6 O'clock position you could use a stock coupler.

I don't know what coupler options are out there, but I don't think Lares makes a correct one. I do know the Scott Drake ones are bad, the pins are too short to engage the slots on the column flange.

Is that a tilt column?

I have only seen columns with a welded flange at the end of the steering shaft, not a splined shaft like that one. But I have never seen a tilt column first hand.
My apologies i should have stated right from the start IT IS a tilt steering.

When i get the old one back i will post some close-up pictures for you ::thumb::

That is cool that you have tilt!

90% of what I posted above can be tossed out the window. You could measure the diameter and spline count of the steering box shaft and the column shaft. (diameter will be crest to crest of the spline).

I think the power steering box should be 13/16" X 36 splines. No idea what the column shaft will be. At least if you know what both are you can call WCCC and get something that will work.

That is cool that you have tilt!

90% of what I posted above can be tossed out the window. You could measure the diameter and spline count of the steering box shaft and the column shaft. (diameter will be crest to crest of the spline).

I think the power steering box should be 13/16" X 36 splines. No idea what the column shaft will be. At least if you know what both are you can call WCCC and get something that will work.
Yeah the tilt was on Marti which is why i went down the route of replacing the busted one. I got pins coming to repair old one.

The mechanic has done a bit of welding to the bolt because he couldnt get spanner in to hold it while nut was applied. He trimmed a bit of U-Bolt(I think thats what he said) and the steering column is in :bravo:

Added a aftermarket steering wheel till i can find a NOS green 2 spoke steering wheel. Important thing is to get it roadworthy and then able to register the car and finally drive it.

Still to complete for roadworthiness;

Fit new windshield washer jets

Fit circuitboard in reverse light for dual use as reverse lights and amber turn signals

Weld battery apron and fit battery tray

Fit temporary aftermarket seatbelts for roadworthy ticket(MOT)

20160722_173049.jpg

20160722_173053.jpg

Back