Number Plates/License plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Can anyone tell me if i can get a set of number plates/License plates made up in America with the state of Arizona and the year 1971 Plus the numbers/letters that the British Government issue me?

there are places that do that.. but.. i serious doubt it will be legal. i had a Tbucket plate i wanted to put on my bucket.. i ck'd with state police and he said NO. it was pretty much the same as our issued plate. now maybe u can get a way different color then the st issued one's maybe that'll work.. but i'd be checking with the state boys..

edit: oops i didn't see u were in england.. so now i have no clue if it's legal.. but u can still get them made in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of doing that here. There are people that paint custom vanity plates. Here where I live you can put vintage plates on any vehicle 35 years or older and just have the state issued plate in the car to show if needed.

I believe in South Africa they have places that make your plates there but they are on a long narrow plates and number issued by state or you can get a vanity custom plate.

Here in North Carolina they used prison labor for years to make the license plates. I have seen plates with the numbers stamped upside down to the state.

Here in North Carolina they used prison labor for years to make the license plates. I have seen plates with the numbers stamped upside down to the state.
lollerz rofl lollerz
Why you laughing? they still make them at the prison here. Cheap labor.
Was the "Upside down numbers" that got me lollerz rofl

lollerz rofl lollerz
Why you laughing? they still make them at the prison here. Cheap labor.
Was the "Upside down numbers" that got me lollerz rofl
Me too. Got an even better one for you - long story but in short...here, they were using prisoners to answer the phone when you called the DMV for assistance. Nobody knew that.

They were supposed to be monitoring the calls but I ran into a situation where a family friend gave out her date of birth and other information to a convicted felon who was then trying to use a friend on the outside to contact her...all the while thinking she was talking to a DMV representative.

Collectors go crazy over the upside down ones they caught most of them when issued. I found a matched pair of 1950 N.C. plates in a box at the Charlotte swap meet one year got them for $20.00 and they were aluminum. The state did a test run using aluminum but did not switch for many years. Scarce as hens teeth.

In Minnesota I have seen plenty of vehicles with original plates for the year of the vehicle on them and I know this is legal, at least in MN.

Subd. 1g.Original plates. A vehicle registered pursuant to subdivision 1a, 1b, 1c or 1d may in lieu of being issued number plates by the commissioner display original Minnesota number plates issued in the same year as the model year of the car on which they are displayed. The number of the original plates must be provided to the commissioner. The original plates must be in good condition. Original Minnesota number plates shall not be used if the number on the original plate is identical to a number on any current plate or any other plate in a numbering system used by the commissioner without written authorization from the commissioner. Any person currently using plates issued pursuant to subdivision 1a, 1b, 1c or 1d shall return those plates to the commissioner before substituting original plates. The commissioner shall charge a fee of $10 for registering the number on original plates.

In Minnesota I have seen plenty of vehicles with original plates for the year of the vehicle on them and I know this is legal, at least in MN.

Subd. 1g.Original plates. A vehicle registered pursuant to subdivision 1a, 1b, 1c or 1d may in lieu of being issued number plates by the commissioner display original Minnesota number plates issued in the same year as the model year of the car on which they are displayed. The number of the original plates must be provided to the commissioner. The original plates must be in good condition. Original Minnesota number plates shall not be used if the number on the original plate is identical to a number on any current plate or any other plate in a numbering system used by the commissioner without written authorization from the commissioner. Any person currently using plates issued pursuant to subdivision 1a, 1b, 1c or 1d shall return those plates to the commissioner before substituting original plates. The commissioner shall charge a fee of $10 for registering the number on original plates.
So are you saying the commissioner issues differant plates with differant numbers and leters? If so that would explain why you guys have such a hard time tracing a vehicle and depend on finding a vehicle using vin. That would be too confusing. Here in the U.K. the car gets issued one sets of plates for the life of the vehicle unless you purchase "private plates" with a set of letters that would represent your initials or name.

Back