Indicator Automatic cancel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I just had the reconditioned steering column fitted. Can someone tell me if the turn signal is like the modern cars. After you have completed your turn on a modern car the turn signal automatiaclly cancels. On this new steering column you have to move the indicator stalk to switch off the turn signal after your turn. Is this correct or is the turn signal faulty?

There's a couple of little plastic ears on the switch mechanism that break off, requiring manual deactivation. The broken piece is available from a few places, I haven't bought one for a while, but they were always a crap shoot as to whether or not they would work. Maybe someone knows of better quality one than what I used to buy.

You also may be missing the cancelling ring on the back of the steering wheel. This ring has two ridges on it. Some steering wheels have two small posts that stick out that act to cancel the turn signal. I'd disconnect the battery then pull the steering wheel and take a good look at the turn signal switch and the back of the wheel to determine what's bad.

You also may be missing the cancelling ring on the back of the steering wheel. This ring has two ridges on it. Some steering wheels have two small posts that stick out that act to cancel the turn signal. I'd disconnect the battery then pull the steering wheel and take a good look at the turn signal switch and the back of the wheel to determine what's bad.
I have a temporary aftermarket steering wheel fitted till i can find a NOS green 2 spoke steering wheel. The steering column is recondtioned from WCCC so i cant see it being column issue. Will sort it out when i fit NOS steering wheel

Back