Saving VINs and pics

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
I might have mentioned this before but I searched and could not find -

SOOOO

When I have had time, I commonly look at ads for our cars all over the internet. As I do so I have taken the time and effort to save each car's pics in a folder named from the car's VIN. This is not always possible but it has worked pretty well so far.

I have many such folders spread across about three hard drives.

From what I remember from an old thread there are others doing the same or similar. Please either post here if you have or still do this or PM me if you'd like to not let everyone know.

This can be a great way to find old cars for another member. It can also come in handy to try and see how some cars were built or have been changed/modded. It can also help with the history of specific cars, i.e. why it different like evidence of a color change, etc.

I have an online picture hosting site where we can start posting. I'll have to give contributors access but it is a great site.

For those mentioned above - help me with ideas on how best to accumulate/archive/share these various folder.

Thanks -

Ray

This can be a great way to find old cars for another member. It can also come in handy to try and see how some cars were built or have been changed/modded. It can also help with the history of specific cars, i.e. why it different like evidence of a color change, etc.

I have an online picture hosting site where we can start posting. I'll have to give contributors access but it is a great site.

For those mentioned above - help me with ideas on how best to accumulate/archive/share these various folder.

Thanks -

Ray
If i were cataloging i would start with 3 folders

Subfolders in each year would be created with Mach 1, Base, Coupe, Grande, etc

Then within each one of the subfolders i would create the differant engines.

Each car in this final subfolder above would have a ID # which would be last six digits of VIN. You could make it so these folders run from low to high. Making the numbers run from 000001 first in the list would make it easier to find a vehicle and recognise where the gaps are in your records.

You could have a completely seperate folder with ALL vin numbers in there running in numerical order starting with 01-1971 000001 and you could write next to each vin the folder and subfolder its in. A 1971 Grande would be in folder 71G, 1972 Mach1 in folder 72M, 1973 Vert in folder 73C or V. You may also want to include a seperate folder with colors. It all depends whether you got software to identify the individual parts of the vin so when you type in search the software will identify a particular part of the vin and throw up all cars in all years for particular part of vin you have imput. Bit like when you start a search with google and once you start writing it starts throwin out what it thinks you want before you finished typing. Same principal as cookies use.

Sounds like a great idea!

I have owned a few and would be curious if anybody resurrected my first car, I totaled it shortly after getting my license, I know I have the VIN somewhere...

If one car could be reunited with past owner or family member it would be a worthwhile endeavor....

There are lots of options for cloud storage. I think we need to create some so anyone with permissions can have access to check on whether a vin already exists on file. That would save time recording data if it already exists

There are lots of options for cloud storage. I think we need to create some so anyone with permissions can have access to check on whether a vin already exists on file. That would save time recording data if it already exists
I already have a pic hosting site that I can establish passwords or access to view and copy/save pics. I can setup other rights to add folders and pics. I am working on it now.

Ray

I do this too but not to your detail Ray. I generally will print out the Marty and put it in a 3 ring binder in Vin sequential order. It is about an inch thich now. My purpose was to figure out and document options availability and patterns.

Ray I was thinking about what we spoke about regards recording VIN and car details. I live in the UK, part of Europe. I will record all the 71-73 Mustangs i find for sale in Europe. I have bookmarks for some big importers across Europe. I will start a new thread asking European members to post links to importers across Europe just in case i missed any.

Ray I was thinking about what we spoke about regards recording VIN and car details. I live in the UK, part of Europe. I will record all the 71-73 Mustangs i find for sale in Europe. I have bookmarks for some big importers across Europe. I will start a new thread asking European members to post links to importers across Europe just in case i missed any.
Appreciate that! Keep in touch! :D

I'm working on a spreadsheet with all the VINs I have so far...

Ray

Appreciate that! Keep in touch! :D

I'm working on a spreadsheet with all the VINs I have so far...

Ray
Do you have total vins produced for 71 72 73

Just a thought....

Instead of starting from scratch, why not try to partner/work with the database that In Search of Mustangs already has? There are >2000 71-73 mustangs there already with varying pics and info on each car.

Here is a link...

http://www.isomustangs.org/Home.aspx
:goodpost: :thankyouyellow: ::thumb::

PERFECT Thank You ::thumb::

Back