Changing yoke on differential

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
I bought a new differential for my '72 this weekend. I have not yet checked the yoke to see if it is the same or not, but if I have to change it, have a question. If changing, do I need to use a new crush sleeve? I figure on replacing the seal if it is coming off, but want to be prepared with the parts I need. Thanks!

I bought a new differential for my '72 this weekend. I have not yet checked the yoke to see if it is the same or not, but if I have to change it, have a question. If changing, do I need to use a new crush sleeve? I figure on replacing the seal if it is coming off, but want to be prepared with the parts I need. Thanks!
You can probably do it without a crush sleeve, but it is cheap insurance to have on hand.

You will need a dial type inch pound torque wrench to accurately measure bearing preload before and after.

Pull the entire pinion assembly out, measure how many inch pounds of force it takes to turn it. Write that number down. Remove pinion nut and yoke, replace seal. Install new yoke and tighten pinion nut in small increments until the force required to turn it is just a few inch pounds higher than it was when was originally. If you overshoot pull it apart and start again with that crush sleeve you just bought.

you need the crush sleeve they are one time use. plus you are changing yokes so the same parts are not going back on, where you might get away with reuse if just changing a seal.

it is possible to convert from a crush sleeve to a solid spacer but that requires more work.

you won't know what your new diff needs until you take it apart. you can get a full 9"rebuild kit with new bearings, spacers, crush sleeve seals, hardware etc...

they are not very expensive.

if you have never worked on a rear end before you should check out my rebuild threads

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-rebuild-a-ford-9-inch

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-how-to-rebuild-a-ford-9-inch-part-2

that will give you a taste of what is involved.

Back