Installation of Scott Drake's Polyurethane spring insulator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I bought Scott Drake's Polyurethane 1/8" insulator and I can't seem to make it fit. Has anyone used this insulator? The inside diameter seem too small compared to the stock so I can't make it fit in the spring support flange. The description of the item specifies that the inner lip is thicker, but by it being thicker it doesn't go over the lip of the flange and I can't make it fit. Thoughts?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-coil-spring-insulator-polyurethane-1-8-pair-1965-1973/p/CSI18/

csi18_1.1860.jpg

It is very stiff, but heating it up should soften it a little. I will post measurements later, but I think the diameter difference is significant. My last resort is taking the Dremel and grinding some excess material.

It is strange. Scott Drake's other insulator, which is 3/8" thick looks a lot thinner (see picture). I also added a picture of the original. You can see in both of these pictures that the internal lip is thinner than in the 1/8" insulator.

csi7.jpg

csi1_1.7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is strange. Scott Drake's other insulator, which is 3/8" thick looks a lot thinner (see picture). I also added a picture of the original. You can see in both of these pictures that the internal lip is thinner and in the 1/8" insulator.
The one in the bottom picture is the same as was supplied in the Scott Drake front end suspension kit I bought earlier this year. It fitted my original springs perfectly. In my case, I returned the springs in the kit as they were way too tall (and thinner gauge steel). So, I'm thinking that the Urethane insulators may be for a different gauge wire, therefore different diameter. Just a thought!!

If they don't fit, are you sure they are for your year and model car? I'd send them back and get one that do fit correctly. Besides, the urethane might be squeaky.

Have you contacted drake 800 999 0289 or

CJ if the sold it to you ?

Have you contacted drake 800 999 0289 or

CJ if the sold it to you ?
Called SD and they say this part has been used in hundreds of cars with no problems reported. Even though their pictures show a clear difference in the inner diameter. I measured the SD insulator and it's diameter is about 1/4" to 0.3" smaller compared to the factory. There is no way that I would be able to compress or force this insulator into place unless I break it.

I don't have time to wait for an exchange so I will start grinding the inside. I don't think this is a high precision piece so I should be good even if it is a couple tens off. I eventually have to get back to this part of the car once I install the DIY roller perch kit so at that time I could replace the insulator with one that fits.

This is one of the reasons I stay away from poly today. It may be stronger and more durable, but the battle to get some of these pieces to fit is a little too much sometimes. As my car will not be driven a lot, I wasn't concerned, but if you are going to race/track the car, then you may need to look at this aftermarket upgrade stuff. Don't like the idea of grinding material off, sometimes for a part like this, you are better off to wait and get it right the first time...

Last edited:
I have had mixed experience with Scott Drake, but mainly good until this one. Their 1/8" insulator won't fit. I tried grinding it but it was a big mess and after two hours I did not like the results.

I ended up purchasing the Prothane insulator (#6-1704-BL), https://www.amazon.com/Prothane-6-1704-BL-Black-Spring-Isolator/dp/B000NSJ3QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469652119&sr=8-1&keywords=prothane+insulator

I received it today and fits great. Incredible how something so simple like an insulator can set you back in a project. I am in the last stretch, want to have the car done in two weeks, and I can't wait! I have an appointment to install the exhaust and for alignment.

Here is a pic showing the difference in internal diameter. The Scott Drake is on the right. You can clearly see that it is too small on the inside.

20160727_152252.jpg

Hi!

I ordered the 1/8" poly bushing from C J as well... then they told me they are obsolete! So I told them then send me the 3/8" version of it and they said "but then your car will sit higher". BIG DEAL! By a 1/4". Not to mention it took almost 3 months until I got my back ordered suspension parts from them. Now what I did to install them (they ARE very tight) is I lined up the spring with the saddle seat bushing at the stop...eye balled where the top of the spring meets the notch of the bushing, held the bushing in place and gave it a couple of good whacks with a rubber mallet. They went right in place, but you have make sure to line it up perfectly! I hope that helps!

Back