Henrob Oxy, Acetylene torch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I know some of you guys are deep into body repair and panel replacement. When I was working in the automotive stamping business we supplied several different Ford plants. Ford would allow the repair of small fractures, cracks or even splits in their inner panels. We had a rework area that this was carried out in and I believe they use Henrob 2000 torches. I had that area when the regular operations manager was on vacation. They are very compact compared to a regular torch which is tiring to use. You had a kit with various tips you could use. We had a woman that did the repairs and the torch gets the area to weld hot very fast and did not warp the panel and once you hit with a sander you could not see the repair.

Does anyone on the forum have one and can anyone suggest a good place to get one? They are expensive compared to the conventional oxy, acetylene torches but so much easier to use. Was fast and very little heat into the part. I know Ford is the one that told us what torch to use.

One of the parts they did lots of repairs on was for the Model 13 Ford Ranger extended cab. We made the inside back reinforcement and it had an area that was prone to splits.

I know one of the area restoration shops here will not let their guys use electric welder on repair only oxy acetylene. They do very expensive sometimes in the millions cars. They can make the welds look just like spot welds with a torch and also skin panel patches with no filler. It is owned and ran by a British guy for get the name of the shop right now.

Anyway any info would be appreciated been searching the net and they are expensive. I bought a Smiths when I was 17 and still have but very bulky and heavy and tiring to use. Attached a couple pics.

They are very impressive, I've seen them just never knew who made them. Doing a quick online search it looks like buying direct may be the lowest price, $419 with free shipping, on Amazon they are $425 & $516 plus shipping

http://www.cutlikeplasma.com/index.htm
Same place I ended up. Trying to get my friend in the resto business to switch to one to save him time in panel replacement. I am also looking to get one for my shop.

They are not blowing smoke in their adds they do work as advertised. Much easier than TIG or MIG or conventional torch.

THAT LOOKS COOL AS HELL. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY ONE OF THOSE ON REAR QUARTER WELDING OR ANY SHEETMETAL.
They do work much better and you can weld any material. I will probably order one today if they call me back from the place in Swansea S.C. J&S Enterprises about 150 miles from here. If you order the kit with regulators, 25' hose, shield and goggles it is $944. But I know they work we used them for years in a factory environment.

I was looking at a new TIG but after I looked around I think this is the best all around add to my tools. I have a Lincoln wire welder and Smiths oxy-acetylene and I don't like either for sheet metal work. My friend with the resto shop has one of the new Miller welders and he doesn't like it either. He has been doing resto work for 30 years and tried several different ones. Yes they all weld and yes they all do a good job I just think the torch is better for sheet metal work.

I am waiting for them to call back to make sure I order the correct kit.

Take a look at their testimonials the guy that did the 39 for frenching the lights and welding up all the trim holes and door handles and says he used only a quart of filler to finsh the body. People weld up frames for airplanes with them, Fat Man that makes street rod parts says he used 5 of them and nothing but good about them. I think I have convinced myself just need to order the right package with tip and accessories.

I've been trying to figure out how to justify one of them to my wife. I just built us some front gates using my 30+ year old oxy-acetylene torch so she knows it works, maybe I'll accidentally run over it :)

THAT LOOKS COOL AS HELL. I WOULD LOVE TO TRY ONE OF THOSE ON REAR QUARTER WELDING OR ANY SHEETMETAL.
They do work much better and you can weld any material. I will probably order one today if they call me back from the place in Swansea S.C. J&S Enterprises about 150 miles from here. If you order the kit with regulators, 25' hose, shield and goggles it is $944. But I know they work we used them for years in a factory environment.

I was looking at a new TIG but after I looked around I think this is the best all around add to my tools. I have a Lincoln wire welder and Smiths oxy-acetylene and I don't like either for sheet metal work. My friend with the resto shop has one of the new Miller welders and he doesn't like it either. He has been doing resto work for 30 years and tried several different ones. Yes they all weld and yes they all do a good job I just think the torch is better for sheet metal work.

I am waiting for them to call back to make sure I order the correct kit.

Take a look at their testimonials the guy that did the 39 for frenching the lights and welding up all the trim holes and door handles and says he used only a quart of filler to finsh the body. People weld up frames for airplanes with them, Fat Man that makes street rod parts says he used 5 of them and nothing but good about them. I think I have convinced myself just need to order the right package with tip and accessories.
Does it take special regulators or will the regular ones from my torch set work? I got a really nice set of Victor gauges/regulators and torches.

Yes both the gauges and hose are standard. I am going to order two today one for me and one for my friend doing restorations. I called them and they will give 10% off for purchase of two.

He is fighting two 69 Camaros right now and will give it a good testing. He has had TIG, sold it too much heat, MIG and bought one of the new Miller MIG but the time to grind all the welds down and make them look like spot welds takes longer than the panel replacement.

I am going ahead and get new gauges I bought my Smiths when was 17 in 1965 so I was going to have to send off for factory rebuild but will replace with this torch. Getting the kit with all the tips and extensions but the rose bud that I won't need.

Clay is just going to use his already existing Smiths gauges and hose. He should be welding with it this week. Should save lots of money from electricity for welder and air compressor with all the grinding of welds. Saves money on gas also it uses much less.

Will put up some pictures when using it.[/align]

I just sold one of these. I was starting to set up a small metal shop when the 2008/9 recession axed my plans. They are indeed a very good welding tool. Detroit area guys can get them from Fournier Enterprises in Shelby Township for one supplier. Or order directly from Cobra. Just Google Cobra DHC2000. Or www.cobratorch.net . Some will tell you you don't need special gauges, BUT unless they are LOW PRESURE, you will have problems getting the setting just right. Yes they do work on only 4psi acetylene. Cobra supply a special ac reg to match the torch. I would also suggest to use a very good 2 stage O2 regulator as well. A GOOD gas saver is a very worthwhile addition to the kit.

If you fancy tackling Aluminum Welding, you will need a cobalt lens shield. This eliminates the orange glare produced by flame and flux. This does take time to practice, believe me!! A course in Aluminum Welding with gas is a very very good idea!

The only downside to this torch is the size of the hand grip. For me, I found it a bit large and therefore harder to balance. A guy with bigger hands likely wouldn't have this issue. I actually found that I could use a small Victor torch with a 00 tip just as well welding .040"-.060" aluminum.

Basically a great tool. Been around for years with one name or another, but not too many actually know about it. Well worth the money.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I checked this morning and mine is on FedX somewhere. I did order the gages. I checked where I use to work and they actually tossed the ones they used for the Ford repairs since their current customers did not allow repairs. I know they used them at our factory for about 25 years.

I also purchased a Smiths when I was 17 now 68 but always find it is bulky and tiring to use. When I took Tool & Die at the tech school we had to spend hours welding with a torch use to be pretty good with one. Much more control with a torch than any type of electric. That is unless you weld under a microscope which some do.

Well should be here tomorrow maybe and will get my buddy to start using on a Camaro he is doing floors and roof on right now.

I will be learning how to use a track hoe tomorrow due to deliver this afternoon. Got to dig about 450' feet of trench and take out some bushes around the house. Hope I don't take the side of the house out, lol.

Thanks for the reply. I checked this morning and mine is on FedX somewhere. I did order the gages. I checked where I use to work and they actually tossed the ones they used for the Ford repairs since their current customers did not allow repairs. I know they used them at our factory for about 25 years.

I also purchased a Smiths when I was 17 now 68 but always find it is bulky and tiring to use. When I took Tool & Die at the tech school we had to spend hours welding with a torch use to be pretty good with one. Much more control with a torch than any type of electric. That is unless you weld under a microscope which some do.

Well should be here tomorrow maybe and will get my buddy to start using on a Camaro he is doing floors and roof on right now.

I will be learning how to use a track hoe tomorrow due to deliver this afternoon. Got to dig about 450' feet of trench and take out some bushes around the house. Hope I don't take the side of the house out, lol.
The track hoe isn't too bad. Just remember small movements inside the cab equal large movements outside the cab. :)

Back