The "Before" shot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
The "before" shot of my 71 Fastback project. It will be a few years until I can do the "after" shot.

10sf52u.jpg

Great place to start. A word of caution if you don't already know. When you remove the lower body Decor Group side trim be careful. You cannot go out and buy repo they quit making it. That will be on feature on the car that sets it off. One of our members says it is made from Unobtainium. Is it a fastback and not Mach 1?

Great place to start. A word of caution if you don't already know. When you remove the lower body Decor Group side trim be careful. You cannot go out and buy repo they quit making it. That will be on feature on the car that sets it off. One of our members says it is made from Unobtainium. Is it a fastback and not Mach 1?
It is a Mach 1.

Yeah.. you are not the first one to mention that trim but I am not 100% set on keeping it tbh. Is it something that is sought after because it is so rare? I have noticed that I don't see many cars with that trim. I guess i'm just wondering why that trim is such a big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK most on here know I am a purist at heart. Even though my own cars are not 100% original. But I am working on it!!! :whistling:

That trim is so rare because almost everyone wants the Boss 351 side stripes on their car. I mean people put them on everything! There are many Grandes and 6 cylinder Mustangs that have these stripes added (of course not original). I pretty much knew your car was a Mach unless someone went to a lot of trouble to add those decor group trim pieces to a sportsroof (HIGHLY UNLIKELY). Sportsroofs never got the Decor group. Not even with a special order. Like any of my understandings to date - if someone has one - step up I'll admit I am wrong. Always willing to learn.

Most Mach 1's did not come factory with them. (especially the 71 429 cars) Personally I like the trim with correct contrasting black or argent and no side stripes - Just "Mach 1" stickers on the front fenders. Unless the car came with Boss type side stripes originally! ::thumb:: BTW the reason I call them Boss type is ALL Boss 351's came standard with them.

It is easier to remove and fill the holes (if the desired look is an original look...) and just throwing away the trim than to do it right. Doing it right might mean they have to search for one or more pieces of correct and undamaged trim... This shows the extra level of detail that makes a special car. IMHO

Some just leave the trim and install repro (original looking) striping. I have seen cars folks claim as all original with this obvious mistake. Many do not know.

I know some like the trim plus stripes look. I guess since I have known for so long it looks out-of-place to me if incorrect.

Ray

Your car reminds me of these.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/12/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1/

1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-for-sale-Three-Quarter.jpg

http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1972-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Fastback-351C-Engine-For-Sale-Front.jpg

1972-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Fastback-351C-Engine-For-Sale-Front.jpg

Purists notice both cars are very original but look close at the blue 1972 Mach 1 built late in the production year - with factory ram air! Look it over close and you'l realize why... :D

Here is one done incorrectly (but obviously to the owner's liking... :D). The hood blackout is not right either... OK I'll quit.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Ray

Your car reminds me of these.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/12/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1/

http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/1972-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Fastback-351C-Engine-For-Sale-Front.jpg

Purists notice both cars are very original but look close at the blue 1972 Mach 1 built late in the production year - with factory ram air! Look it over close and you'l realize why... :D

Here is one done incorrectly (but obviously to the owner's liking... :D). The hood blackout is not right either... OK I'll quit.

Ray
Good to know! Thanks for all that info.

Well I Like the Mach 1 letter on the fender [WINKING FACE] But what is correct for the 73 model like my own Ray? Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk
Lars - not including the hood paint/decals your 73 Mach1 should look like this one below. And from what I can see of yours it appears to look very similar. Since I don't know the particulars about your Mach 1 tough call on the hood. PM me with more specific info and I'll be able to help.

1973 ford mustang mach 1-pic etghdgshdfgh.jpg

Ray

Wow thank you very much for your response to my question [WINKING FACE][TONGUE][THUMBS UP SIGN] But I don't think that I am going to put the strib on. But maybe when I first would have it painted. But this is not now 😎 [THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

That's awesome. I wish I would've done something like that with mine. It's an original 'no stripe/no spoilers' car as well. My rocker trim was mostly gone though, so I just omitted the rest and did the 'striped car' rocker treatment [but without the hockey stripes].

That is a cool looking Mach 1, Remington! I, too, like the plain look. No side stripes. If you decide to remove the trim, I am sure someone here will take them off your hands fast! BTW, I saw you avatar photo on Instagram. You do nice photography work.

How my Mach looked after paint...without "hockey sticks", as it came from the factory. Décor trim intact too. I think the car looked pretty darned clean. I did, however, add the side stripes later as that is how the movie studio previously dressed it up for use in a movie. While not "correct", it does look "racier".

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

092015Galpin-001.jpg

Back