Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know in North Carolina it is legal to do so. It is not legal to steal a car and change the VIN. Every swap meet I go to has people buying and selling titles to cars in the open with big sign. There are always DMV officers, undercover, at the meets to make sure nothing is done illegal. I cannot buy a car at a swap meet today and turn around and sell tomorrow without sending the title in to put in my name, open title. They arrest people for that every year at swap meets.

The engine and trans have VIN# is it illegal to swap them?

Here when you buy an engine or transmission from junk yard you need to keep the BOS with your title to keep it straight.

As far as I know in North Carolina it is legal to do so. It is not legal to steal a car and change the VIN. Every swap meet I go to has people buying and selling titles to cars in the open with big sign. There are always DMV officers, undercover, at the meets to make sure nothing is done illegal. I cannot buy a car at a swap meet today and turn around and sell tomorrow without sending the title in to put in my name, open title. They arrest people for that every year at swap meets.

The engine and trans have VIN# is it illegal to swap them?

Here when you buy an engine or transmission from junk yard you need to keep the BOS with your title to keep it straight.
We would have to inform DVLA/DMV of new engine number and bill of sale. Our V5/Title shows engine number & VIN number

Sorry I cannot believe it is OK ANYWHERE to buy a VIN sticker/plate of a rare car, find another car with different VIN and place the first identification on the second and call it a rare car. It is no longer THAT rare car!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would want to know of this swap of VINs before I even thought about purchasing!

If you have documentation of a changed front end because of damage - that I could understand - with documentation. But otherwise it makes the car suspicious to misleading tampering.

OK I know this has been discussed to death. Sorry. But I think it is extremely important in representing a car to a potential buyer. A rebody need to be identified as a rebody just as a salvage title identifies a car that has been totaled. (That is a whole other subject!!!)

Ray

The individual states have provisions to legally allow vehicles to be repaired with other vehicle critical components (i.e., front clips, etc.), as well as non-production vehicles to be titled and licensed. Consult local DMVs for more information regarding the same.

If there were no provisions for this, Dynacorn (and other post-production manufacturers falling under the new laws regarding reproduction of vintage vehicles) wouldn't be in business.

This one just raised tons of red flags!

Does this sound like a rebody and encouragement to do another?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5693117502.html

Ray
It appears he is only selling the motor, although he mentions he has the VIN, dash etc. That is where it gets dicey as if these are added to another car along with the motor, "Houston, we have a problem..."; when you go to rebrand a car as something other then what it left the factory as.

Unless I am reading the add, wrong, he bought the '72 to take some body parts to restore the 429scj car. His wording is a little confusing, but I have seen far worse where the owner admits that they have taken a car that was born as a 6 cylinder or small V8 and turned it into a rare BB car. Fraud...

Back