Remote mirror fitting to drivers door.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uk1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 302/C4
I have a 73 vert, it was missing the original mirrors, I have now have original oem 73 mirrors, I'm having a problem fitting the remote control fitting to the door, I have new Ford approved door cards (plastic backs).

How is the remote switch/knob held to the door card? the remote mirror door card hole does not align with any holes on the inner door metal.

I have the chrome screw-on bezel that screws onto the control knob threads and a black round plastic spacer which has a slight lip on the outer edge and is slightly bigger that the screw threads, this I assume goes on the door card outer and the chrome bezel screws on and squishes up to it and that black plastic spacer is used to prevent the chrome bezel damaging the outer door card face.

But should there be a retaining clip /locking ring that goes behind the door card as without anything on the rear the control switch will just pull through the door card.

My Original 73 workshop manuals (Electrical Volume 3, page 35-50-02) are not very clear it shows two parts the chrome bezel nut-17B732 and plate 17B733. It seems that I may be missing that plate and the plastic piece I have is not actually the correct part.

Anyone have a picture of the control switch fittings my googling is failing to bring a positive view of that area, or confirm that the plastic part I have is not correct, if so anyone know where I can get the locking plate 17b733.

Thanks, tried both part no's in mustanghouseparts, one is for a 1970 round bezel which looks similar but the plate is for a 69 and not similar or relevant for a 71/3. I expect the plate should be similar to a round flat washer with maybe a locking tab or flat to stop the control knob from turning.

John

John,

Here is what you need that goes on the backside of door panel to hold in place. This piece is reproduced and sold by many of the vendors.

Here is a link to one for sale...

http://www.american-mustang.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34_929

2m51ds8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo!!!

Thanks Jeff, that is indeed the part I'm missing, seems like the black plastic bit I've got is not original.

I'll see if I can get one posted to the UK, failing that I should be able to weld and file a washer into that shape.

Pegleg, just done a recheck on your original link, if I input in the search box C7SZ-17B73 at http://www.american-mustang.com I do get the washer as shown above. You were right also :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back