Headliner Area

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
So heres a few shots of the interior roof space. I will have a headliner coming soon. Not looking to fit it immeadiately but want to fit it soon as i am ready to. So i am information gathering; What is missing besides the light?

20160722_173015.jpg

20160722_173020.jpg

20160722_173115.jpg

20160722_173119.jpg

20160722_173130.jpg

20160722_173143.jpg

So heres a few shots of the interior roof space. I will have a headliner coming soon. Not looking to fit it immeadiately but want to fit it soon as i am ready to. So i am information gathering; What is missing besides the light?
Looks like you are missing one of the bow rods. There should be 4 of them total. There should be one directly behind the roof brace where the dome light mounts. Can't tell from your pictures but there are also two small wire clips that go from the rear bow over to the rear roof brace next to the rear window.

Michael

So, the Grande/Coupes only have 4 bows? Interesting, the Sportsroof/Mach 1s have 5.

Those wires Michael spoke of help the rearward bow keep the tension when installing the headliner by essentially holding it in-place as you work your way forward.

You need to pull the sunvisors and windshield trim, remove the headliner 'lefovers' from the bows, number them and indicate which direction they're oriented in the car (so they can go back in the same way), and get new sail panels. Ensure the tack strips are all there and don't forget to get some new insulation as well.

Are you doing this yourself? If so, consult this thread: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-headliner-sail-board-help-needed-please

Is the glass still in the car? Installing the headliner is traditionally done before the glass goes in, but I'm sure upholstery shops don't remove the glass when they replace a headliner. ;)

Roof insulation would be needed. It is a jute based insulation that is glued to the metal of the roof underside. Do not remove those bows or if you do clearly label their placement before doing so. It can be a bummer to try and figure out which goes where for reinstalling. I usually pull mine out while leaving them in their headliner pockets with the entire headliner. Since yours is already gone either leave them in place until you are ready to install or mark them. For proper installation you will also need the front and back glass out of the car.

As the car has had a re-spray in a differant color (teal) by previous owner all the glass will be removed and take car down to bare metal. I have to check to see if glass is correct but probably new glass all round. Will use tape around bows and number them with "L" "R" plus 1 2 3 4 for relevant position and side each end belongs left or right. I think i see the relevant hole where missing bow slots in. Am doing the interior myself. Will be sure to add headliner before glass. Thanks for link to thread. I have to buy complete insulation for whole car and will buy all at once. Still got to clean the old glue from roof which i am not looking forward to. Sunvisors will be replaced so the ones in there now will go.

Whats best product to remove remnants of glue from roof?

Wheres best supplier for correct concourse correct insulation?

As the car has had a re-spray in a differant color (teal) by previous owner all the glass will be removed and take car down to bare metal. I have to check to see if glass is correct but probably new glass all round. Will use tape around bows and number them with "L" "R" plus 1 2 3 4 for relevant position and side each end belongs left or right. I think i see the relevant hole where missing bow slots in. Am doing the interior myself. Will be sure to add headliner before glass. Thanks for link to thread. I have to buy complete insulation for whole car and will buy all at once. Still got to clean the old glue from roof which i am not looking forward to. Sunvisors will be replaced so the ones in there now will go.

I wouldn't get concours insulation

Get something better than what was made 40 years ago

That is one area to upgrade for sound, heat and noise that no one will ever see

Do you have the 6 zinc plated metal strips [ rear ones have teeth to hold the headliner ] that go around the inside of the car?

Do you have the 6 zinc plated metal strips [ rear ones have teeth to hold the headliner ] that go around the inside of the car?
Hi Don, What you see in the pictures is all i have. Do you stock the zinc plated metal strips?

I also need a pair of Green sunvisors Don.

So it would be acceptable to use non standard insulation on a concourse restoration? Do you stock the insulation Don?

Like Don said, that's one of those places the judges won't be able to check, since they'd have to remove or open up the headliner to check. ;)

Also mentioned is it being the perfect time to upgrade the sound deadening capabilities in that area - the roof sheet metal is pretty 'tinny sounding' which transfers a lot of noise into the car. I used Raamat on mine (similar to Dynamat) and the roof sounds solid as a tank when you tap on it. Be careful, though - one way the judges might check could be to tap on the roof... if it doesn't sound tinny, they might deduct points because that's a good indicator of extra sound deadening materials having been used (IF that's a problem, that is).

Hi Don, What you see in the pictures is all i have. Do you stock the zinc plated metal strips?

So it would be acceptable to use non standard insulation on a concourse restoration? Do you stock the insulation Don?
Those parts are not made

I probably have a original used set

I would look into insulation in your area first, due to shipping costs

Last edited by a moderator:

Those parts are not made

I probably have a original used set

I would look into insulation in your area first, due to shipping costs
Let me know if you have a set.

I am buying parts in and having them shipped to Mike. He will ship to me when i am ready

Here are a couple pics for you...

The first is an example of a couple of the metal strips that help hold the headliner in place that Don referred to and are not reproduced.

The second is what I used for the roof insulation. This will make a huge difference over factory relative to sound and temperature. Relative to concourse, I would not think twice about using any type of material since will never be seen by anyone.

nmhlbc.jpg

nqv39l.jpg

Like Don said, that's one of those places the judges won't be able to check, since they'd have to remove or open up the headliner to check. ;)

Also mentioned is it being the perfect time to upgrade the sound deadening capabilities in that area - the roof sheet metal is pretty 'tinny sounding' which transfers a lot of noise into the car. I used Raamat on mine (similar to Dynamat) and the roof sounds solid as a tank when you tap on it. Be careful, though - one way the judges might check could be to tap on the roof... if it doesn't sound tinny, they might deduct points because that's a good indicator of extra sound deadening materials having been used (IF that's a problem, that is).
Will check out those products in U.K

I can picture the judges tapping a tuning fork then tapping the roof, shaking his head, tut tut tut, points deducted lollerz lollerz rofl rofl

The first is an example of a couple of the metal strips that help hold the headliner in place that Don referred to and are not reproduced.

The second is what I used for the roof insulation. This will make a huge difference over factory relative to sound and temperature. Relative to concourse, I would not think twice about using any type of material since will never be seen by anyone.

nmhlbc.jpg

nqv39l.jpg
Thank You Jeff

I can picture the judges tapping a tuning fork then tapping the roof, shaking his head, tut tut tut, points deducted lollerz lollerz rofl rofl
I was thinking the exact same thing as I was writing that. Great minds... :bravo:

nmhlbc.jpg

nqv39l.jpg
Its for sale here in U.K. Sold in size 18"x32". Is that the normal size available? Or does it come in larger sizes?

Pegleg, I assume you were joking on the tuning fork issue. Judges per MCA rules are not allowed to lift things up such as carpeting or remove things to expose things underneath. Just saying this to help with your understanding and hopefully give you a little peace of mind. You do have some wiggle room when it comes to things that are internal in the interior and not visible to the eye. I do appreciate your drive for originality. I also just want to offer this up to keep you from spending much more than is really needed.

Pegleg, I assume you were joking on the tuning fork issue. Judges per MCA rules are not allowed to lift things up such as carpeting or remove things to expose things underneath. Just saying this to help with your understanding and hopefully give you a little peace of mind. You do have some wiggle room when it comes to things that are internal in the interior and not visible to the eye. I do appreciate your drive for originality. I also just want to offer this up to keep you from spending much more than is really needed.
Yeah was just joking. From what other members have written it appears the judges are tough cookies and looking for point deductions. Bit like referees in British soccer. Tough but fair and each referee of soccer can award a penalty or not depending on how he interprets the game at any given moment ::thumb::

Back