Which carb do i have

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Is this a aftermarket carb?

The gasket is leaking fuel and i need a new gasket-Pic 1

The small square at front of carb with 4 screws. behind that square is where diaphram pushes fuel around

Pic 2 is whats leaking

20160727_162816.jpg

20160727_162839.jpg

Looks like the stock Motorcraft 2 barrel carb, looks like it's a remanufactured unit by the paper tag on top of the fuel bowl area. The small diapghram is the accelerator pump, a very common place for a leak. So much so that just about every auto parts store in the US has them in stock on the shelves.

It looks just like the Motorcraft 2100 Carb, Just the standard 2bbl found on the 302

and as Hemikiller said, its a very common place to leak

they come as part of the Carb rebuild kits.

4.jpg

Looks like the stock Motorcraft 2 barrel carb, looks like it's a remanufactured unit by the paper tag on top of the fuel bowl area. The small diapghram is the accelerator pump, a very common place for a leak. So much so that just about every auto parts store in the US has them in stock on the shelves.
I will have to buy 2 or 3 if its a common issue. Buying anything here in the U.K is a "We don't stock that item". Yeah your right its been remanufactured.

:huh: So i need a supplier that will ship with fast air shipping. Fortunately its not a large item so it should ship quicker ::thumb::

Do you have a local auto parts store you can try there in the UK? This was a common carb for ford for many years and used on vehicles all over the world.

Do you have a local auto parts store you can try there in the UK? This was a common carb for ford for many years and used on vehicles all over the world.
Tried to google it but no joy. I am sure the Ford Granada MK1 had same carb. The Granada was a very popular car in U.K but parts are rare. I would go as far as to say there are more Ford Cortina in the U.S than U.K yet they were built here. Same applies for E-Type Jaguar which was made here in my hometown Coventry

The biggest problem here in the U.K is this small country probably bought less cars than a single state in The U.S. So the likes of cjpony, Macs auto's, NPD don't exist here. Its all about the supply and demand dilemma

Hmm I was more suggesting just a chain store. You can get those over the counter at any Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Napa, etc here. Not from a specialty supplier. I think you guys have places like Caar Parts? I think if I remember correctly.

Hmm I was more suggesting just a chain store. You can get those over the counter at any Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Napa, etc here. Not from a specialty supplier. I think you guys have places like Caar Parts? I think if I remember correctly.
Not that i am aware. Not for sale on Ebay.uk andthats probably biggest outlet in UK

Thank You.......Need it sooner. That will be 10-14 days.

I just found the same item in UK $58.52 plus shipping. Thats more than double but i got to have it to get roadworthy/MOT certificate and register car. We definately get robbed here in UK :mad:

http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/Catalog/CatalogResults.aspx?questionsanswered=true&answeredby=user

A common reason for them leaking is because the cover has been warped by over tightening. Some gentle hammer work will straighten it.
Thank You Don ::thumb::

Me+ Hammers+ Gentle

rofl I will try and be gentle with a hammer in my hand lollerz rofl

Just a thought Steve. If you can find the make and model which I believe should be on the carb somewhere, perhaps one of the good-'ol-boys from the US would be good enough to order and ship a complete kit or two as they can likely find what you need easier than you searching online stores and then paying overpriced shipping. I wouldn't be any use on this as I would have to go to the States to buy parts and then have to do a conversion of the dollars.

Also, you should easily be able to find the exact carb for your car/engine on www.mustangtek.com. Great site for numbers and detail. That way, should you need to replace the carb, you'll know what to buy as I know you want to go the concours route.

Geoff.

Back