differential casing is scrap metal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang fastback,{mine} 74 Chevy Nova {girlfriends car}
2001 Sunfire that is falling apart haha.
So I just got news that my 9 inch is done for. The casing is good for the scrap yard. My transmission guy is ordering one with all new bearings and everything else for a rebuild. I am looking at close to 1500$ or 78 hours of over time hahaha Guess I'll be working late tomorrow::s:D

In a way yeah but at least now I know everything will be new and fresh from the engine all the way to the rear end. Guess that leaves paint and body for next year. Oh wait I do want to upgrade to front disc brakes also hahaha. Looks like an other 78 hours over time in in my future :p . And it's not like we don't have the work. We have over 2 million worth of signed contracts to do so I would of done over time anyhow. I figure at around 55 to 60 hours a week it will take me just over a month to pay it off. Hell might just get the disc brakes by mid summer hahaha.

Hey Eric,

Sorry to hear about that but how did your 9" diff turn into scrap metal? Don't you know these are bullet proof? So I was told :D I just picked one up the other day for a case of heinies and spent the day cleaning it up and replacing gaskets and seals. Will look cherry and perform as it should when done. You could also just buy the 3rd member and I'm sure there's a bunch of em on your local Craigslist or wreckers. Real simple to replace bearing and seals on this rearend and you don't need a bearing press to install the bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
the casing with the yoke in it {I guess} is eaten up it probably already had a problem when I bought the car. It is not the casing that the axle's go in that is fine it's the assembly itself. It had a problem from the start just got around to bringing it to get it checked out. Although I have had the car for 2 years I hardly drove it. I had to do one thing at a time and apparently had to do the big three .Engine ,transmission ,and rear end. But at least I have the car I have wanted for years. :D I don't mind to much. Learn from experience I guess hahaha. Next time I buy a classic or any car for that matter I will know what to look for.

Eric,

I sell open 9 inch drum to drums for 200.00

I'll sell you all the disc parts out of one of the cars for 250.00 and up, depending on condition

Don

the casing with the yoke in it {I guess} is eaten up it probably already had a problem when I bought the car. It is not the casing that the axle's go in that is fine it's the assembly itself. It had a problem from the start just got around to bringing it to get it checked out. Although I have had the car for 2 years I hardly drove it. I had to do one thing at a time and apparently had to do the big three .Engine ,transmission ,and rear end. But at least I have the car I have wanted for years. :D I don't mind to much. Learn from experience I guess hahaha. Next time I buy a classic or any car for that matter I will know what to look for.
That's the spirit! It's called a 3rd Member. You can find them all day long on the internet. Easy to install if you can easily bench press 200lbs and don't mind getting dirty :D More than likely you have the 28 spline 9" rearend. I'd rather see you do this job yourself, but it all depends on how comfortable you are with taking on a job like this. I had a female on another website guide me every step of the way and I found it to be very easy to do and am now doing it myself. I'm currently changing out 3rd member to go with a more freeway friendlier gears. Taking out the posi and going back to stock gears. Good luck!

As I wrote to Don at oms it was not the outer casing that was broken but the differential case. The locking pin on the pinion mate shaft broke so it was turning on itself and eating away at the differential case. Most of the clutches where done so we they installed an Auburn Gear limited slip pro series.

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2372&Part=AG_542043-PRO&Brand=Auburn_Gear_Posi

They also installed my shocks and replaced a brake cable on the house. they also told me that I need to modify my cross member because it is to close to my oil pan. {milodon} So I will need to do that A.S.A.P.

As I wrote to Don at oms it was not the outer casing that was broken but the differential case. The locking pin on the pinion mate shaft broke so it was turning on itself and eating away at the differential case. Most of the clutches where done so we they installed an Auburn Gear limited slip pro series.

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2372&Part=AG_542043-PRO&Brand=Auburn_Gear_Posi

They also installed my shocks and replaced a brake cable on the house. they also told me that I need to modify my cross member because it is to close to my oil pan. {milodon} So I will need to do that A.S.A.P.
Right on, I'm glad you're working it out. She'll be up and running like a champ in no time. Don't want to highjack your thread so will post my 3rd member progress in my 'Doing the Swap" thread. I may not do the swap after all LOL!

Later,

DJ

Back