1971 Sportsroof Special Order Paint car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5703908483.html

Interesting car. With power windows... Different for sure. That blue looks a lot like the dark Air Force blue used on DOD vehicles.

00r0r_d8bVw42cRvp_600x450.jpg

00505_fwjDlUYBmk2_600x450.jpg

00d0d_kTvBSzYb4t_600x450.jpg

00F0F_5fC9cWNngh0_600x450.jpg

Text from the ad:

"You are looking at a 1971 Ford Mustang SportsRoof aka Fastback, VIN 1F02HXXXXXX, was a Special Paint Order (SPO) car, meaning that it was painted a non-standard (i.e. non-1971 Mustang) paint color when it was built on Friday, November 6, 1970 at the Dearborn Assembly Plant. It was painted under special order number 1495 out of the Los Angles, California District Sales Office. It also had special order: Power Steering, Sport Deck Rear Seat, Power Front Disc Brakes, Air Conditioner -- SelectAire, Tinted Glass.

This is one of the 23,955 SportsRoofs built during the 1971 model year; only 163 had blank COL codes (0.68%). Only 8 of those 163 units had TRIM code 1E, and this car is the ONLY ONE of those 8 with Engine H, 351-2V. That makes this car a "1 of 1"!

It was a one family owned car. According to the son whom I purchased the car from, his father had purchased it originally at Santa Monica Ford and the miles(65,000) are original. The father drove it every day, 1 mile, to McDonalds and back. He had it painted in the mid 80's the color it is now (This is not the original color) and it was a cheap paint job. It has numerous bumps and dings on the passenger side, since it had no mirror on that side( I added a mirror) and as he got older he bumped it going in and out of the garage. It is very straight other than the bumps and scrapes. There is a small amount of rust above the driver's side rear taillight because of a leaky gasket. Nowhere else on the car is any sign of rust.

I have the Marti report and original build sheet from the factory at Dearborn Michigan as well. (see pics)

The car runs perfect. It fires up every time. Here is what has been done recently on the the car, the front suspension has all been rebuilt; the rubber was completely worn out. The transmission was rebuilt, previously to my purchasing it. I removed the original exhaust ( I still have it, but it was pretty beat up) and replaced it with a custom system with h-pipe and Flowmasters, it sounds awesome. I rebuilt the power steering system/hoses and pump. I rebuilt the original carburetor. It drives perfect now and cruises fantastic out on the freeways.

The negatives, as I mentioned are the bumps and dings on the passenger side, the front quarter panel is tweaked a bit, but otherwise straight. The paint is not original. The carpet is torn on the drivers side (you can see where the original paint color is on the floor), I do have a new custom molded reproduction carpet kit for the car(still in the box) . I recommend when repainting it, replacing all the window and door rubber. It is an original AC car, but the AC and heater is not connected. I had it looked at by a Classic Car A/C shop and they said it would cost around $1000.00 to have it all rebuilt with the original equipment. The compressor and clutch were bad. I have all of the original parts that have been removed in a box.

I just do not have the time to get it back to 100% original as I was planning on. Feel free to ask me any questions. I am not in a rush to sell, Please don't try to loball, I know what the car is worth and what it will really be worth when fully restored."

Ray

Yeah, its my car...kinda bummed, but I have had zero time to be able to get it where it needs to be.

Been debating about selling it, but if no one offers what I want, then I probably will keep it and get it fully dialed in. Until then, Im still here!

Back