New owner, rust under vinly top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFrance729

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe, 302
1985 Buick Riviera
Hello everyone, I just bought a 73 coupe (well, put a deposit on one until I can pick it up in 2 weeks) that needs some body work. Some basic information about the car, I paid $2500 for it, 103k miles, 302 V8, mechanically sound (so far), biggest issue is rust underneath the vinyl top. There is also rust around the bottom of the doors and around the trunk, and the hood needs replaced, but those should be easier to just replace.

Here are a few pictures (I don't have pics of the roof yet though)

B8v56Gp.jpg

sqENdrz.jpg

ScYHL4r.jpg

wDdJx9G.jpg

dh8rMmT.jpg

As you can see, the interior is pretty much perfect, its just body work.

So what I really want to ask is, what would be the best method of repairing the roof? (Sorry I don't have a picture of the roof rust yet, but its pretty much the whole thing)

Try to find another roof from a donor car? Are there aftermarket roofs available that I cannot find? I tried looking, but all I found was the dynacorn roof, which I believe is for the Fastbacks right?

Should I try to remove the rust from the roof and see how deep it is and then weld new metal onto it?

I don't currently have any welding experience (or body work at all), but we have a stick welder at the house and I was already planning on taking a course at the community college before I bought the car, and practicing on the old hood when I replace that, if not for the roof, at least to patch other spots on the car. The guy has some sheets of thick metal to go with the car too.

I don't want the vinyl top on there either, I would rather the roof be the same as the rest of the car.

Thanks for the read, I really hope you guys can help!

Welcome to the Club from Rhode Island.

The rust areas you showed are very common areas on these cars, I'm sure once you lift the carpet you'll find a bit more.

as for the roof, I can't answer that one (I have a Convertible).

$2500 is a good price I think for the car, especially if it runs and drives.

When I started on my car I had Zero welding experience, my car forced me to get a Mig welder, and now I can just about weld anything, and also I learned to do all the bodywork.

Looks like a great project, Good Luck with it.

Welcome from Ohio

You need to get the vinyl off and see what you have under it.

The dynacorn roof is for fastback only

I donor roof would be best if you do not want the vinyl top.

Check the cowl, they tend to rust / rot

I have doors, quarters, trunk corners, floors most of what you need.

No coupe roof at this time though

Welcome from Illinois! You will find a wealth of information here, and great group that will gladly share and assist you.

Welcome. I noticed a roof on E-Bay the other day that the seller has listed as a fastback, doesn't look like it to me. I am buy no means recommending it, just providing the link. I'm sure that one of the members here can probably lead you to something better or at least let you know what this one would really be worth. E-Bay Mustang Roof

s-l500.jpg

Welcome to the forum. If you found rust in all those areas then the cowl upper and lower is probably bad. There is a great mustang junk yard in Oxford N.C. if you are near there I can give you the contact phone number. There are several coupes in the yard I saw. Your car has the Decor Group which gives the side trim with black out on bottom, black panel between the tail lights and should be a Mach 1 grill. One of the members here calls the side trim "Unobtanium" so difficult to find but makes car look much better. I think a member is going to put a set up for sale soon.

Before you toss anything make sure you can get another some items are like gold so never toss anything. If you are going to try to do the welding check into a Henrob or Cobra torch. It will cut like a plasma and can weld anything from thick to thin with less warping. Much less operating cost also.

Be ready to do lots of searching and lots of late nights to get one back solid.

If you old roof has a solid base and just rust pitting you can soda blast the pit areas and then treat with a paintable rust barrier. Sand heavily and use 2 part epoxy primer 2 heavy coats. Sand again and use a light coat of premium filler for finishing. Sand again and coat with epoxy primer. Prep for paint.

I have used this method and it worked for me. I am sure others will also have good advise.

Welcome..

Based on the pics, you have some major work ahead of you. Don at OMS has a great supply of new and used parts and is very knowledgeable with these cars..

Best of luck and when you reach your patience level during the restoration, put the tools down, go in the house and have a beer..

CFrance729,

Congratulations on your purchase. I like the look of your 1973 mustang. I am with Carguy4sp, +1 - . My 73 had rust on the roof and door hinge post. I did what Carguy4sp with the media blaster and applied epoxy primer and painted it.

Defineltuy look at the cowl section. Notorious for rusting.

The good thing is there are now available replacement parts, especially the trunk corners. Unfortunately, there is no reproduction flat hoods. Unless, you can find NOS one, at an exorbitant price. The ram air hood would really look good on your 1973.

Lots of good advice.

mustang7173

Agree lots of work but it looks like a pretty original car. Those (original cars) are rare in their own right these days!

As mentioned your car appears to have the cool option called the "Decor Group".

Below is a cut/paste from the 1973 dealer brochure:

1973 Mustang Brochure

Décor Group

Add a touch of dazzle to your Mustang. Shown on Convertible and Hardtop (below), the package includes a black grill with integral sportlamps, black or argent lower bodyside paint with bright chrome molding, wheel trim rings and hub caps.

Bodyside Tape Stripe. A separate option available only with Décor Group in black or argent (shown on Hardtop below).

Might be a good time to order a Marti report and factory invoice (both from Marti Auto Works). These will provide a lot of info about your car ansd how it was when delivered to the original selling dealer.

Looks like your car was also ordered with the sport wheel covers - a neat touch for a hardtop.

First - am am not a painternor a bodyman...

I recently saw a posting on one of the 71-3 Mustansg Facebook sites where a guy had similar issues with his top. He stripped and prepped then applied an high-build epoxy primer. He explained it totally sealed the treated/prepped metal to eliminate the opportunity for further deterioration. I would think he would also need to use some type of fibreglass mesh under any holes for reinforcement. I'd also want to use a product like Rust Bullit

I hope one of our talented paint/body guys wil chime in to support or dispute this technique (THX!!!).

I think he used this product:

http://www.glasurit.com/uk/glasurit-801-703-cv-epoxy-primer-filler

Ray

For those that do not know Ford's procedure for vinyl roof. They did not even put top coats of paint under the vinyl roof only primer. The trim is held on with studs and rust gets started and holes end up through the roof. I have a Maveick Grabber 71 that I bought new. I quit driving it sometime in the early 80's and the vinyl top split while sitting. When I pulled it off only primer was under there and lots of rust and of course holes. So water leaked in and rusted the floors out.

I do think the coupe looks sharp in the vinyl roof. I ordered one on my Mach 1 new. It is still good shape but aluminum needs a polish.

I would look at repair for any rust or holes before cutting the entire roof off. You would have to add lots of bracing and have it on a jig to prevent the body from dropping out of shape with the top off. Lots of work in a roof change and your replacement will be just as old. Never know I just missed a NOS roof for a 1950 Ford business coupe last year for $200 on cl. That roof has the cowl, windshield frame and back window frame and the panel between rear window and trunk all in one nice stamping.[/align]

Thank you all for the welcomes and the abundance of information. I'm can't do anything for a couple weeks until I get out of school for the Army, then I will be able to get a closer look under the vinyl top. He had a picture of the underneath before he took the ad down, and it was pretty much the entire roof, but it didn't look like there were any holes. He had taped the vinyl back down when I went and looked at it, but there are no leaks from the roof so hopefully I won't have to replace the entire roof.

Definitely excited to start work on the car when I get out of here though.

As for the vinyl tops...I'm not really against them, especially on cars like these, but for what I want the final product to be, I don't think it would fit.

Right now I'm thinking black with 2 orange stripes (opposite colors of my dads 07 GT), maybe a matte black.

Of course, with all the time I'm gonna be spending looking at the body, this could change.

Welcome to the forum. If you found rust in all those areas then the cowl upper and lower is probably bad. There is a great mustang junk yard in Oxford N.C. if you are near there I can give you the contact phone number. There are several coupes in the yard I saw. Your car has the Decor Group which gives the side trim with black out on bottom, black panel between the tail lights and should be a Mach 1 grill. One of the members here calls the side trim "Unobtanium" so difficult to find but makes car look much better. I think a member is going to put a set up for sale soon.

Before you toss anything make sure you can get another some items are like gold so never toss anything. If you are going to try to do the welding check into a Henrob or Cobra torch. It will cut like a plasma and can weld anything from thick to thin with less warping. Much less operating cost also.

Be ready to do lots of searching and lots of late nights to get one back solid.
Oxford is about 3 hours from me, so I'll definitely try to take a trip out there once I have a parts list together. They don't have a website or anything do they?

Thank you guys for letting me know my car has the Decor Group, I have definitely never heard of it before now.

Back