New owner, rust under vinly top

Damn. That's bad.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you find a donor car with a good roof and cut that out and weld in? Me thinks that might be beyond trying to patch.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Wow. That is a mess. But hey, it's only the roof. No one is going to look under the vinyl.

But, if it is like that UNDER the vinyl, I can't imagine what the frame looks like.

My heart bleeds for you.

11jmcuc.png

351C Bold Manners, Brash Attitude

Favorite Teams: Michigan Wolverines and Whoever Is Playing Ohio State.

When I drive past a herd of cows, the cows MOO at me

5I4qkdW.jpg

UIPFaqK.jpg

Took off the rest of the vinyl and the exterior trim today so I could see how the sides were. About as bad as I thought they would be at first, but at least I was able to get to metal (somewhat) easily.

Now I'm still new to the whole restoration thing, and especially bodywork.

I used one of these

https://www.amazon.com/3M-SandBlaster-9681-2-Inch-Clean-N-Strip/dp/B000BQURDI

style discs to remove the paint and rust...and it worked alright, except I ate through pretty much the whole disc for just that little section. Is this normal? Is there a better attachment I should be using? I thought about using the grinding wheel but I don't want to deal with the heat and warpage, and the extreme care I would have to use.

Can anyone fill me in on what exactly I'm looking at? For instance, what is that rectangular bar towards the top? At first I thought it was structural, but it's got a little wobble to it.

In the mean time, I'm gonna go get educated on body stuff, roof parts, what is an A frame, the pillars, etc etc.

If anyone can recommend some good books (preferably ones available for electronic download, but I'm not against waiting for paperback) on body repair and general Classic Mustang restoration, I would appreciate it very much.

If you are going to keep the car, you almost need a donor roof. That is the easiest and best way to go. There are a lot of coupe parts cars out there. Looks like your roof is too far gone.

For sure you need a donor roof. Check with the contact I sent, Scotty Strickland in Oxford, N.C.. If he has good roof that was not vinyl top that is what you need. There are many opinions of what to do. Change the skin or just cut the A post and separate at the factory joint at the rear.

I was sending a 71 Maverick Grabber to crusher because of a couple dime size holes under vinyl roof. Ford did not put top coats of color if there was a vinyl roof going on so not real protection there.

You probably need some help on this one for a first restore. Replacing a roof is not a big thing but they do not repo coupe roofs.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I knew after I took the vinyl off the first time I would need a new roof. Right now I'm just trying to see how far down the "salvageable" goes.

I plan to contact Scotty, but it won't be for at least a month or two, until I'm sure I know what I'll be doing with the whole process. I'll be starting a couple month long welding course here in the next month or two and I will be practicing on scrap in my off time, maybe be able to find some body panels somewhere cheap to practice on too.

I knew after I took the vinyl off the first time I would need a new roof. Right now I'm just trying to see how far down the "salvageable" goes.

I plan to contact Scotty, but it won't be for at least a month or two, until I'm sure I know what I'll be doing with the whole process. I'll be starting a couple month long welding course here in the next month or two and I will be practicing on scrap in my off time, maybe be able to find some body panels somewhere cheap to practice on too.

Since you are just starting on the welding learning process. Take a look at the Henbob or now Cobra oxygen acetylene torch. You can do about anything with it with some practice. I have told others if you had never seen a basket ball and someone told you to dribble it and go down the court and go behind your back and do a dunk you would have said impossible. All skills need practice and the Cobra torch can do amazing things with sheet metal. You need their gauges also 4 lbs. of gas is very low but that is what they work with. Practice makes perfect for sure.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

There is a Mustang junkyard on I 95 just above Richmond VA. Old Dominion Mustang. They will have the top. You should get it cut into the trunk and wheelhouses. And six inches down on the quarters. No need to weld between the trunk and window.

• 4 months later...

Mike at Motorcity Mustang, a member here, breaks cars. He is breaking a couple right now. Mike is a very good go to guy for any used parts. Mike just sorted out some hard to source used parts for me. A-Pillar trim, C-Pillar trim, Interior Roof trim, Exterior roof trim and Metal door trim. It would take forever to complete my restoration without his help.

Steve

1971 Grande