Hello from Southern Indiana

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1972Mach1

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1979 Trans Am
1996 Mustang Cobra
1991 Mustang LX Coupe
1988 Mustang LX Hatch
Hello 71-73 Mustang owners!!! New to the forum here, going to probably be coming to all for advice on my 72 Mach 1. Q code car, does have a couple nice options: fold down rear seat (which a few parts are missing), and rear window defroster (which is of no use to me actually). First quick question, would it be difficult to convert this car to a standard back seat car?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum. The rear window defogger is maybe the rarest option. Most people want to put the fold down rear seat in and you want to take out. It is a big job to go either way inner panels are totally different and you get into the bones of the car. Keep both of the options both are not found as often and other.

[/align]

Welcome from central Florida and a central Indiana native.

Lot of work changing seats either way. I am doing the opposite, going from standard to fold down. I will have the package shelf out soon could swap some parts.

Rick

Thank you for the replies, the only reason I'm considering taking out the fold down rear seat, which I do like, is because I'm not seeing much in quality reproduction parts such as the quarter trim pieces. I definitely prefer keeping the fold down rear seat, just afraid finding the missing parts will be almost impossible. I have a very good set of the lower trim but I do not have the rear section trim pieces. I'm afraid those are going to be extremely difficult to find. I have all the fold down parts of the seat and they are in desperate need of refurbishing. If any of you have any suggestions, fire away!!! Thanks!!!

::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Try our vendor Don at OMS for the missing parts. He might have them or may be able to locate them.

Thank you for the replies, the only reason I'm considering taking out the fold down rear seat, which I do like, is because I'm not seeing much in quality reproduction parts such as the quarter trim pieces. I definitely prefer keeping the fold down rear seat, just afraid finding the missing parts will be almost impossible. I have a very good set of the lower trim but I do not have the rear section trim pieces. I'm afraid those are going to be extremely difficult to find. I have all the fold down parts of the seat and they are in desperate need of refurbishing. If any of you have any suggestions, fire away!!! Thanks!!!
I know of several that have the parts you need. Not as difficult as you might think. I believe a friend in Michigan has some of the fold down and I know a Mustang junk yard in Oxford, North Carolina has every part. His name is Scotty Strickland cell is 919-693-6690. He does work a regular job on third shift so call after 3:30 pm. You can find him on facebook also.

I have also seen several fold downs cl in last few months, search it nation wide. You can run wanted ads on craigslist outside of your area also. I have found several items that way.

Well, it sounds to me like I need to stick with the fold down back seat. I am awaiting a call from Don at Ohio Mustang Supply, I'll see what he says my options are. My car was originally light pewter with the black Mach 1 stripe package, which is what it will return to. The bad parts of the car is the right rear quarter panel and the taillight panel, the rest of it is not that bad. Couple of places in the floor pans that I will address as soon as I clear some room in my shop. Frame rails are solid, thank God!!! I am not worried about making this a completely correct car as to matching the options it came with. I have a 1973 Gran Torino parts car (Q code), 4 speed, so I can either go with using that Cleveland motor or I also have four DOVE 429's to pick from, those decisions are down the road a bit, going to concentrate on getting the body lined out during the fall and winter. I may be getting rid of a couple Fox Mustangs I have to free up some room and get some extra cash for the Mach 1.

Back