Looking for Input on Potential Purchase

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I have a non-mustang project I'm working on. Earlier this year, I had an opportunity to buy a rolling chassis that had been stripped down, painted (including engine bay, but I don't think the undercarriage is restored), most of the interior was replaced (seat, carpet, headliner, door panels door seals, windshield, window seals, etc. Engine & trans are removed. The car is reported as being rust free and never been wrecked. The seller pulled it off the market shortly after posting it up for sale. This car has recently been put back on the market.

Here's the caveat, this paint work was done ~10 years ago and the car has been garaged ever since. Pictures of the car look great...but I've seen great looking pictures that turned out to be basket cases in person. One other issue...it's missing the majority of the dash...heater/evap box, gauge cluster etc. I happen to have most of that stuff from a donor car...the only thing I'm missing is the gauge cluster...but that can be had for relatively low cost. I don't at all suspect this to be anything other than what the seller has told me...he and his son worked on it for a while and it ended up stored in the garage.

The asking price is $4000. I know a quality paint job costs more than that...even when no major body work is involved. The car is a ranchero...same plain jane model as the one I'm working on...perfect for a resto-mod, IMO. It has a decent set of tires and wheels (who knows what shape the tires are in). Mine needs pretty much what this one has....an interior and paint & body...including rear floor pans...floor pans aren't horrible, but should be replaced. It comes with the original running 302 & c4...I won't be using them, but maybe I could sell for a couple hundy.

What would you be concerned with? The age of the paint? I'm concerned with it cracking....my fear is that bringing it to blazing hot AZ and viola! Cracks everywhere....I just don't know what to expect.

What would you ask the owner with regard to the paint & body work (also the professional auto body/paint guy)? Is there anything telltale you recommend I look for?

Thanks in advance for your input.

BT

I have a non-mustang project I'm working on. Earlier this year, I had an opportunity to buy a rolling chassis that had been stripped down, painted (including engine bay, but I don't think the undercarriage is restored), most of the interior was replaced (seat, carpet, headliner, door panels door seals, windshield, window seals, etc. Engine & trans are removed. The car is reported as being rust free and never been wrecked. The seller pulled it off the market shortly after posting it up for sale. This car has recently been put back on the market.

Here's the caveat, this paint work was done ~10 years ago and the car has been garaged ever since. Pictures of the car look great...but I've seen great looking pictures that turned out to be basket cases in person. One other issue...it's missing the majority of the dash...heater/evap box, gauge cluster etc. I happen to have most of that stuff from a donor car...the only thing I'm missing is the gauge cluster...but that can be had for relatively low cost. I don't at all suspect this to be anything other than what the seller has told me...he and his son worked on it for a while and it ended up stored in the garage.

The asking price is $4000. I know a quality paint job costs more than that...even when no major body work is involved. The car is a ranchero...same plain jane model as the one I'm working on...perfect for a resto-mod, IMO. It has a decent set of tires and wheels (who knows what shape the tires are in). Mine needs pretty much what this one has....an interior and paint & body...including rear floor pans...floor pans aren't horrible, but should be replaced. It comes with the original running 302 & c4...I won't be using them, but maybe I could sell for a couple hundy.

What would you be concerned with? The age of the paint? I'm concerned with it cracking....my fear is that bringing it to blazing hot AZ and viola! Cracks everywhere....I just don't know what to expect.

What would you ask the owner with regard to the paint & body work (also the professional auto body/paint guy)? Is there anything telltale you recommend I look for?

Thanks in advance for your input.

BT

After i got my car painted i put it in the garage ... sat for a few years while i did other work to it. The first day it saw hot sun light flaws began to pop out everywhere. My paint guy didnt want to do anything. I kept chewing on him and he offered to reshoot it for $1500. I didnt like that but it was all i could do so we went ahead. He screwed me again and the car looks worse. I said f-it ill get everything else right and deal with paint later with someone else. Get the car out in the heat. flaws will show.

I would ask what type of paint was used on it 10 yrs ago as several different options were available. Some will accept wet sanding and buffing better than others. Good luck.

It's a base coat clear coat with solvent (non-water) base coat.

I saw the car in person and the body work looks very good. It has been sitting outside under a cover for ??? not sure but a few weeks at least.

its a deal at 2500

Doubt you could have went wrong at 4K

Nice find

Back