What color is this?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejnonamaker

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C 2v
My car was originally medium yellow. As we do the restoration we go around from keeping the numbers matching, saddle bronze, or light pewter. We lean heavily towards the saddle bronze. Then I got shown this tonight. Everyone but our 6 year old, who is bent on red, liked this color with no fuss what so ever. It was listed as steel blue.

My best guess if it's a 1973 Ford color, but not on a Mustang, is that it's silver blue metallic. Otherwise the only Mustang color I've been able to find that's close is Brittany Blue from the late 60's.

Any body know what color this would be? I hope it's not GM steel blue. I couldn't do that to a Ford.

Thanks!

1973_00037_02.jpg

1. Nice color

2. 6 year old's opinions don't count. :)

3. If the color is cool it doesn't matter if it's GM, Hyunday or Tata.

Just my 2 cents.

The picture may be silver with slightly wrong hues in the pic due to wrong exposure. Remember the infamous dress picture?

The colors in the background seem correct, though. I dunno.....

Like Mike said, it is hard to distinguish colors from a picture, but look at Silver Blue from 65-66 time frame. I believe that there is a Smoke Grey (same period) that seems to appear anywhere from silver to light blue depending on the sky and background.

Thanks for all the inputs. I've got the owners name and atleast know what state he lived in when the picture was taken now. That silver smoke grey looks close too. Our 6 year old has lots of valuable inputs. He's one of the lead wrench benders. See some of my other posts. I just dislike red cars. Red trucks I love. Not sure why. Sorry if you're a diehard red car fan. That smoke color might be a little touch smoke and not enough blue. I'll have to see if I can find some current pictures of that color out in the sun. I was looking at silver blue from 73. I'll check out the earlier version too. I just really love this color. I'm typically a fan of it atleast has to be an original color it came with that year if the numbers aren't going to match but my minds been changed. That's the second thing I noticed was the front bumper. I see that alot. Some people like lots of crome. I like the 73 bumper but they look good either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Red trucks I love.
Me too!

willE_zpstonz1fyw.png

I actually was going to paint it the same color as my old wagoneer, it was a nice brown with a lot of gold in it. But it would have cost a lot more to do the interior, jambs, etc. So since the original color was red I went with red but it has grown on me.

I've also found a T Bird color of silver mink. It seems closer than the silver blue. It's still hard to tell. Waiting for the computer to come back with a match of the scan.

Red trucks I love.
Me too!

willE_zpstonz1fyw.png

I actually was going to paint it the same color as my old wagoneer, it was a nice brown with a lot of gold in it. But it would have cost a lot more to do the interior, jambs, etc. So since the original color was red I went with red but it has grown on me.
Nice!

Back