Grande Vinyl roof Trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
Anyone know a supplier that sells the chrome trim that runs around my vinyl roof. Does the chrome trim need clips?

If new is not available where can i source some second chrome trim?

Does anyone know EXACT placing of "Grande" on rear quarter panel. I have seeen pictures of other Grande and the placing of the letters is differant to where mine are placed? I am pretty sure mine are too low

M3.JPG

M5.JPG

For the trim check ebay. I do not believe they make it after market. I did a quick search on "1971 mustang grande vinyl roof trim and got a couple of hits. As for the "Grande" location I hope someone else can help out. Mine was missing when I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My vinyl top trim was also missing.

From what I could gather there were several holes drilled around the outline of the

trim mostly in the corners (top of A pillars for sure) and something like "nail heads" were

welded around the outline for the trim to atatch (like the F & R glass trim nail heads for the clips).

Perhaps someone will confirm that (mine were "almost" completely ground off).

The nail heads are available aftermarket as a screw in style.

I think it would be quite a job to attach that trim to a car that never had it IMO.

Paul

Anyone know a supplier that sells the chrome trim that runs around my vinyl roof. Does the chrome trim need clips?

Does anyone know EXACT placing of "Grandé" on rear quarter panel. I have seeen pictures of other Grandé and the placing of the letters is differant to where mine are placed? I am pretty sure mine are too low
Your Grande emblem looks to be in the correct spot. Looks kind of strange by itself without the top trim surrounding it.

The top trim uses several style of clips and fasteners. Right at the top above the rain gutters there should be small welded on to the body sheet metal rivets which secure plastic pop on clips. There are a few more of these on the trim below the Grande emblem above the crease in the body. There are multiple clips which lock into the trim and have threaded studs on them and use nuts and rubber grommets to lock the trim against the body. There is one on each side of the top trim closest to the windscreen. Several on the lower trim above the body crease along with a bunch where the trim goes above the rear window.

As some of the other members stated there is no one making new trim as of yet. You will have to get it used. I have gotten pieces off of ebay for my Grande so it is out there.

Michael

Does anyone know EXACT placing of "Grandé" on rear quarter panel. I have seeen pictures of other Grandé and the placing of the letters is differant to where mine are placed? I am pretty sure mine are too low
I have a '71 and the Grande emblem looks correct.

mike

The trim is all aluminum with clear anodize applied. Any trim you find will probably have to be sent off and polished and anodize applied or at least clear coat. Polishing the thin aluminum trim requires some experience. A buffing wheel will catch an edge and fold it up before you can blink an eye. The anodize has to come off before you polish google the subject and there are videos on how to. Some of the plastic clips are available form Dennis or Daniel Carpenter in Charlotte, N.C. don't know about your trim clips.

If you do try to do your own I would suggest you use a small air or electric grinder with smaller wheels. A bench buffer with 6" - 8" buffing wheel will get away from you quick. Go length wise on the trim never have wheel rotating into an edge that will catch and put the trim and destroy it. Either way the final polish is done with cloth by hand. There are shops in the U.S. that will restore the trim but it is not cheap. Some trim has black out on parts of the trim also that needs to be added after polish.

Would be a good thread to publish here.

Back