The cost of doing "Mustang" business...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a parts place in my state that I order from rarely. Recently I order a decal (sorry Don for cheating) from them because it was just before a car show. Shipping was 2x the cost of the decal and they're only 2 hours from my house.

It didn't cost that much to ship and I won't be using them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipping from USA to Canada is crazy! And there is no reason for it! Ups charges stupid brokerage fees and there is no way around it; and they don't tell you what these charges are till they r at your door holding your parts hostage. That is why I always get my stuff sent to cbiusa; it's a warehouse just over the border in Niagara Falls. Also if parts company's (or eBay sellers) will ship usps that is way better. I find usps (United States postal service) just as fast and I have yet to get duty charges.

I hardly every use UPS or Fed X to ship anything due to costs. I use the USPS much better rate and I do not do the priority mail just snail mail and has worked out great. I sell on eBay and have mailed quarter panels for 1950 ford, consoles for 71-73 mustang, two door panels from N.C. to Utah for 71-73 mustang and lots of other odds and ends. Talk to your parts guy and see if they won't use United States Postal Service. You can do the export paper work online also with them. I have sent stuff to Africa with no issues. I have also received items straight from China that came in the mail again no issues and I paid no duties.

I weigh my package and go online and pay for the postage and print the postage and labels and take to post office and it has always worked. There are limits for sure but I don't ship heads or engine blocks.

O yes... i can only dream about 13% taxes and $15 handling.

For Europe is this 21% taxes and €15 handling (21% taxes over the total cost on parts + US shipping service to Europe).

Think also about shipping cost for the heavy or big pieces like sheet metal or calipers or...

:huh: :mad: :huh:

So, I am waiting for parts to be delivered so I can complete the rebuild of my A/C and heater core box, to get this mounted back on the interior firewall. Dropped another $3K on parts (the majority of this expense was for replacement AC parts). I am having this order delivered to a Buffalo warehouse, drive over and pick them up, pretty easy. "Only" costs me the additional Canadian 13% taxes to bring back across the border...

On the other hand, went through one of the major Mustang part supplier catalogues and picked up a few odds and ends, total $275. These were delivered to my door yesterday and the driver confirms that this $275 odds and end order will cost me an additional $131 in shipping and cross border fees. Hand him my Visa # and just shake my head in disgust... These major delivery company's really sticks it to us when we order something out of the USA. Two small boxes cost me $85 UPS shipping charges, $15 "handling" fee... for a three hour drive to my place... I haven't been keeping a tally of these additional costs when getting parts for my restoration, but boy, I just despise paying these costs. I don't mind the part suppliers costs for the actual parts, just the rip off shipping costs when having to use a ground delivery company... Hope my AC parts come soon, so I don't have time to rant like this... Expensive to restore the old girl... Carry on...
NPD has a warehouse in the Detroit area. Since your doing a large project it might be worth a road trip to pick up large parts if they have what you need. The warehouse is of off interstate 275 and their open on weekends.

John J

O yes... i can only dream about 13% taxes and $15 handling.

For Europe is this 21% taxes and €15 handling.

Think also about shipping cost for the heavy or big pieces like sheet metal or calipers or...

:huh: :mad: :huh:

Last edited:
So, I am waiting for parts to be delivered so I can complete the rebuild of my A/C and heater core box, to get this mounted back on the interior firewall. Dropped another $3K on parts (the majority of this expense was for replacement AC parts). I am having this order delivered to a Buffalo warehouse, drive over and pick them up, pretty easy. "Only" costs me the additional Canadian 13% taxes to bring back across the border...

On the other hand, went through one of the major Mustang part supplier catalogues and picked up a few odds and ends, total $275. These were delivered to my door yesterday and the driver confirms that this $275 odds and end order will cost me an additional $131 in shipping and cross border fees. Hand him my Visa # and just shake my head in disgust... These major delivery company's really sticks it to us when we order something out of the USA. Two small boxes cost me $85 UPS shipping charges, $15 "handling" fee... for a three hour drive to my place... I haven't been keeping a tally of these additional costs when getting parts for my restoration, but boy, I just despise paying these costs. I don't mind the part suppliers costs for the actual parts, just the rip off shipping costs when having to use a ground delivery company... Hope my AC parts come soon, so I don't have time to rant like this... Expensive to restore the old girl... Carry on...
NPD has a warehouse in the Detroit area. Since your doing a large project it might be worth a road trip to pick up large parts if they have what you need. The warehouse is of off interstate 275 and their open on weekends.

John J

Last edited:
I can fully understand the costs involved. Shipping to UK sucks. Then 30% is added on to parts AND shipping costs. When i see the car finished it will be worth every penny.

So, I am waiting for parts to be delivered so I can complete the rebuild of my A/C and heater core box, to get this mounted back on the interior firewall. Hope my AC parts come soon
How much to refurb the A/C?

If memory serves me right your going concours?

Did you replace like for like, Selectaire?

Once i get roadworthy i think thats got to be one of my first jobs

So, I am waiting for parts to be delivered so I can complete the rebuild of my A/C and heater core box, to get this mounted back on the interior firewall. Hope my AC parts come soon

Last edited:
Shipping from USA to Canada is crazy! And there is no reason for it! Ups charges stupid brokerage fees and there is no way around it; and they don't tell you what these charges are till they r at your door holding your parts hostage. That is why I always get my stuff sent to cbiusa; it's a warehouse just over the border in Niagara Falls. Also if parts company's (or eBay sellers) will ship usps that is way better. I find usps (United States postal service) just as fast and I have yet to get duty charges.

Last edited:

All parts are through Classic Air out of Florida. I have not addressed the compressor yet, want to look at mine closer and see if I can change seals etc. Everything else in the engine compartment including the two belt pulleys for the AC were purchased new. Inside the car, new evaporator and heater coil. New gasket kit and I restored/repaired the heater/AC box myself, including a new drain nipple that had broken off. After cleaning my AC box assembly, it was actually in really good shape, compared to some I see out there. All my vacuum actuators appear to be holding vacuum, there may be a couple other items I need, we'll see. I knew the AC was going to be both a PIA and expensive to refurbish, but what can you do... I am looking to keep it original in appearance and will switch over to 134A.

I am doing a pretty high level restoration, following MCA where I feel like it... Some of those rules are vague at best and there are too many opinions on how these cars came from the factory, so you have to do what you feel is best based on the guidelines and improvise elsewhere.

I can state that every single piece of this car required refurbishment or replacement... The AZ desert and 15+ years stored in a barn were tough on her, but she took it and was still driving, just barely; when I got the car last September... She has come a long way in 11 months. You can see the prices on all the AC components on the larger Vendor sites, there are a couple vendors frequenting this board that may be able to help you when the time comes. If I wasn't trying to stay original, I would have certainly switched over to one of the aftermarket set ups, especially the compressor. Cheers
Mine came from Phoenix AZ. I am glad it did. Body is totaly rust free and to me thats more important than a rusted box with good interior.

It takes a certain dedication to the hobby to do a restoration outside of the US. I applaud all of our international members for their effort and tolerance for the additional expense. Maybe the upside is the great fun you have showing off your loud American muscle car amongst all of those 4 & 6 cyl local cars.

You international guys need to buddy up with someone so you get all your shipments as gifts, not duty. It works have done it in the past with no issues. Shipments between individual persons not companies does not raise eyebrows.
Sounds perfect. And i think used parts should be easier to bypass duties as gifts. ::thumb::

Last time I used a company called www.freightquote.com and had an excellent experience.

Bought a rebuilt Cleveland long block DAOE from Don of OMS.

Estimated weight was 650#. Included door to door (2500 miles) shipping plus insurance and

cost a total of $315.

mike

I can fully understand the costs involved. Shipping to UK sucks. Then 30% is added on to parts AND shipping costs. When i see the car finished it will be worth every penny.
Same here in Finland. But everything under 22€ is tax free...

Back