Hello from East Carolina

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFrance729

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe, 302
1985 Buick Riviera
Last week I went and looked at a 73 Coupe in Newport News. I was planning on buying it then and there, but the loan check didn't arrive before the weekend, so we settled on a deposit. She will be mine next week though when I am out of training. (The car is $2300) Being that I cannot yet drive a stick, the owner drove us around the neighborhood a bit. Seems like the engine runs pretty strong, I think the transmission/clutch might have some issues, but its hard to say being that I have never driven a stick.

Its a 3 speed, 302 engine. Thanks to the knowledgable members here on the forum, I now know that it also has the Decor Group option too.

So the story behind it is the guy I bought it from had it for a couple years, and it apparently sat for 12 years until he got it. He didn't do much driving with it. He rebuilt the carb and a few other little things. The guy who had it before him was a doctor who had it since 75, so I guess that will make me the 4th owner.

This is how it came to be in my possession (well, almost in my possession).

I have a 15' boat I'm building, not much left to do besides fiberglassing and painting. Its a wood boat, so it only weighs 200-300 lbs without gear. A smart car could probably pull it. I didn't want to use my car (1985 Buick Riviera, 307 engine) because the rear bumper is messed up. Its fixable, but its not gonna be cheap, so I figure I will get a truck, and sell my car to a guy at work for $2000. So here I am on Craigslist, looking at a pretty decent 93 Ford with a stepside bed, which I love. It's 4wd with a V8, but its got 200k on it. Then I found an 84 Ford shortbed 4wd and a V8, so I'm talking to the guy about it for awhile and I was gonna go look at it and then I bought a Mustang.

Because why not.

It will pull my boat just fine provided the transmission and engine are good.

So we will see how that goes.

Some more info on the car itself, it was $2300, 103k miles.

Pros:

-Near perfect interior

-Its a stick (3 speed but still)

-It runs and drives (at least in the 30s and 40s)

-Its a classic Mustang.

Cons:

-Rusted roof under vinyl top

-Fuel gauge isn't working

-Hood is rusted underneath

-Left turn signal doesn't work

-Rust on the trunk and trunk pan (theres a pattern)

-Rust on the bottom of the doors

-Probably some more rust

B8v56Gp.jpg

sqENdrz.jpg

ScYHL4r.jpg

wDdJx9G.jpg

dh8rMmT.jpg

I'll have more pictures next week, definitely under the vinyl top (I have already seen under the top, its pretty much all rust, but no holes)

I plan on turning this into a daily driver, so no huge engine with drag radials (but its still going to be a bad ass daily, of course)

I wanna convert it into a 5 speed in the future, as I hear 3 speeds kind of suck to drive. Further down the road I will put a bigger engine in it too, but still something that is somewhat efficient (13-15 mpg, I have low standards)

It will definitely need an upgraded exhaust, I'm thinking an H pipe dual exhaust. Way way down the road its gonna get repainted, either regular black or matte black with orange racing stripes, or a red stripe, a white stripe, and a blue stripe. It would be cool to get some louvers put in the hood too.

Anyways, that's my story. I can't wait to meet more of you and hear what you have to say, and see your Mustangs too!

That car as great bones!!! I can say from experience that you are gonna what at least a 4 speed (that was from a Shelby and I added a Hurst shift kit). I put a bored .030 302 in my 1970 with 4bbl carb and Typhoon intake and it got the HP I needed.

Good luck.

Tim

Welcome to the site. Great story. Back in the late 70's I use to tow a 14 foot power boat with an outboard motor with my 73 convertible. No problem towing or stopping with the stock 6 cylinder. Have fun with it.

Towing what you have should not be a problem. I drove a 69 Ford van with a 240 inline 6 for 467,000 miles. I towed camper, car trailer with car, trailer when going to Montana and back 4 times and did it non stop with 3 drivers each way. You don't need tons of hp to tow something. Some people think you need a duel F-350 diesel to pull a jet ski, lol. Just take it easy and keep the brakes in very good order.

Good friend use to pull ski boat with his 72 and no issues.

When looking for the hitch the 73 bumper is in a different location than 71-72 they moved it back some I think. I have a couple of the 71-72 hitches it was a dealer option from Ford. The hitch bolts to the two holes in the bottom rear of the frame that had the shipping tie down brackets and then two bars go up to the bumper and attach. If the car is rusty in the trunk Houston You Have a Problem. There is nothing to support the load so for sure new trunk pan and frame rails in the rear are in order. You might want to look for a rust free car to prevent thousands in rust repair. It is one of those "pay me now or pay me later" things. Pay more for a great body or pay a lot more for repairs and time.

Glad you have jumped in but know your options.

Last week I went and looked at a 73 Coupe in Newport News. I was planning on buying it then and there, but the loan check didn't arrive before the weekend, so we settled on a deposit. She will be mine next week though when I am out of training. (The car is $2300) Being that I cannot yet drive a stick, the owner drove us around the neighborhood a bit. Seems like the engine runs pretty strong, I think the transmission/clutch might have some issues, but its hard to say being that I have never driven a stick.

Its a 3 speed, 302 engine. Thanks to the knowledgable members here on the forum, I now know that it also has the Decor Group option too.

So the story behind it is the guy I bought it from had it for a couple years, and it apparently sat for 12 years until he got it. He didn't do much driving with it. He rebuilt the carb and a few other little things. The guy who had it before him was a doctor who had it since 75, so I guess that will make me the 4th owner.

I have a 15' boat I'm building, not much left to do besides fiberglassing and painting. Its a wood boat, so it only weighs 200-300 lbs without gear. A smart car could probably pull it. I didn't want to use my car (1985 Buick Riviera, 307 engine) because the rear bumper is messed up. Its fixable, but its not gonna be cheap, so I figure I will get a truck, and sell my car to a guy at work for $2000. So here I am on Craigslist, looking at a pretty decent 93 Ford with a stepside bed, which I love. It's 4wd with a V8, but its got 200k on it. Then I found an 84 Ford shortbed 4wd and a V8, so I'm talking to the guy about it for awhile and I was gonna go look at it and then I bought a Mustang.

Because why not.

Pros:

-Near perfect interior

-Its a classic Mustang.

Cons:

-Probably some more rust

B8v56Gp.jpg

sqENdrz.jpg

ScYHL4r.jpg

wDdJx9G.jpg

dh8rMmT.jpg

I'll have more pictures next week, definitely under the vinyl top (I have already seen under the top, its pretty much all rust, but no holes)

I plan on turning this into a daily driver, so no huge engine with drag radials (but its still going to be a bad ass daily, of course)

I wanna convert it into a 5 speed in the future, as I hear 3 speeds kind of suck to drive. Further down the road I will put a bigger engine in it too, but still something that is somewhat efficient (13-15 mpg, I have low standards)

It will definitely need an upgraded exhaust, I'm thinking an H pipe dual exhaust. Way way down the road its gonna get repainted, either regular black or matte black with orange racing stripes, or a red stripe, a white stripe, and a blue stripe. It would be cool to get some louvers put in the hood too.

Anyways, that's my story. I can't wait to meet more of you and hear what you have to say, and see your Mustangs too!
Are you replacing the vinyl roof?

Because why not.

Pros:

-Near perfect interior

-Its a classic Mustang.

Cons:

-Probably some more rust

B8v56Gp.jpg

sqENdrz.jpg

ScYHL4r.jpg

wDdJx9G.jpg

dh8rMmT.jpg

I don't want to, after I get the roof fixed I would rather leave it off.

welcome from Georgia

mongosCJ

If you are leaving them off i would be interested in buying the brightwork around the vinyl roof. I purchased my car without the vinyl or brightwork but i want to put a vinyl back on the roof as i am going concourse. Could you also take some pictures of the roof/vinyl area along with some measurements so i can get mine right when i fit it :thankyouyellow:

If you are leaving them off i would be interested in buying the brightwork around the vinyl roof. I purchased my car without the vinyl or brightwork but i want to put a vinyl back on the roof as i am going concourse. Could you also take some pictures of the roof/vinyl area along with some measurements so i can get mine right when i fit it :thankyouyellow:
Yeah thats no problem, I'll message you next week with some pictures when I get the car home.

Yeah thats no problem, I'll message you next week with some pictures when I get the car home.

Towing what you have should not be a problem. I drove a 69 Ford van with a 240 inline 6 for 467,000 miles. I towed camper, car trailer with car, trailer when going to Montana and back 4 times and did it non stop with 3 drivers each way. You don't need tons of hp to tow something. Some people think you need a duel F-350 diesel to pull a jet ski, lol. Just take it easy and keep the brakes in very good order.

Good friend use to pull ski boat with his 72 and no issues.

When looking for the hitch the 73 bumper is in a different location than 71-72 they moved it back some I think. I have a couple of the 71-72 hitches it was a dealer option from Ford. The hitch bolts to the two holes in the bottom rear of the frame that had the shipping tie down brackets and then two bars go up to the bumper and attach. If the car is rusty in the trunk Houston You Have a Problem. There is nothing to support the load so for sure new trunk pan and frame rails in the rear are in order. You might want to look for a rust free car to prevent thousands in rust repair. It is one of those "pay me now or pay me later" things. Pay more for a great body or pay a lot more for repairs and time.

Glad you have jumped in but know your options.
Thanks for the info. I know the trunk pan is rusted, but I don't know about the rails. Actually, I'm not even 100% sure what the frame rails are being that I have never done body work before, but I will look it up online and in the service manual.

Do you have any suggestions on hitches? I never messed with hitches or trailers before so I don't really know what to look for. I know U-Haul has one for about $200, but I don't know if there are any universal ones that fit. I would think any class hitch would work with how light my boat is, but it seems that Class 3 hitches are the most common, and it would be better to have a stronger hitch than not.

Back