Gun Oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go on extended trips to Africa for as long as 4 months. I tramp through the bush every day in rain and dust. I usually take a .50 muzzle loader, varmint rifle and a .300 - .325 Model 70 Winchester for plains game. I just wipe down with some light oil occasionally while in the field. One thing that some do not realize is that you should wash your gun with hot soapy water and dry then oil it. Your sweat and has lots of salts in it. Carry the gun for days on a hunt or in my case months. If you just put the oil on you trap the salts on the steel. I take the stock off and take the bolt apart and wash in hot soapy water and dry in warm place. I also take the scope off, which is bedded to the action, so it goes back really close when I remount the scope. I put some grease on the firing pin mech. and wipe everything down with light gun oil, Hoppe's brand. I have never had a spot of rust on a gun yet.

When my son turned 12 I got him a Browning stainless stalker .270 for Christmas. We hunted here, in Montana and then in Africa. Before we went to Africa he said his rifle looked funny. When I looked at it there was rust on the stainless. We cleaned with Brillo pad and washed and oiled and not rusted since. The stainless they use in guns will rust.

By the way my trips to Africa, 14 times, only costs me about $75.00 including air fare. I use credit card miles to fly and work on a hunting ranch for room and board as a guide and repair equipment. I find ways to support my habits without a checkbook, lol. I would be there now if the darn garage was up and finished.

Here is a link to a video slide show from some of the hunting in Africa. In one of the pics I shot a Bush Buck with a .17 HMR. I was out hunting monkeys when it walked out and I have to take it. https://animoto.com/play/L40EMEeI7fu6zP5bj2ylcQ

The Kudu I am with measured out to be #25 in the SCI books for Eastern Cape Kudu so there are some nice animals there. If I had shot with my muzzle loader it would be current #1. Sorry for the hijack of the thread like hunting as much as I do my mustangs.

I use Rem Oil on everything including a number of vintage pieces. I have been doing so since came 20+ years ago.

Back