radio cutting out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpxr400

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Q Code Convertible
Hi all - I have a '72 Q Code ragtop that the radio keeps cutting out in.

Although it seems to be pretty random, I have noticed that often when I hit the brakes, it will also cut out.

It initially had the factory AM/FM which cut out, and I thought maybe the radio itself was faulty.

I installed a DIN stereo, and grounded it under the dash and ran the power to the radio/acc fuse in the fuse block. I'm confident that ground is good, but still have the same issue, so I imagine there is a loose wire somewhere that I need to look for.

I'm good under the hood - but not so "under the dash" (with electricals).

So - where do I start?

Replace the fuse and clean the contacts. Over the years I have seen a lot of glass fuses that didn't have the fuse element properly soldered to the end caps. You can also resolder them by just heating up the end caps.

Hey Don,

Thanks for he suggestion. I finally crawled under the dash today and looked at where I had my power lead running.

I had it on either location #4 (Distributor Vacuum Emission Control/Throttle Solenoid/Parking Brake/Dual Brake System) or

#5 (Heater Defroster/30A Air Cond). Honestly I didn't pay a lot of mind to where I pulled it from - I guess I should have.

It was definitely a "key-on" fuse.

Anyway, I moved my power lead to position 6 - for the radio, back up lamps, etc. and it's not cutting out any more.

I'm guessing when I ran the wire, I just looked for "key-on" power since I didn't have a fuse block diagram and I couldn't read the lettering on the box!!

Thanks for the suggestion. It pointed me in the right direction.

K.I.S.S. - huh !!?? (no - I'm not looking for a kiss !! )

EDIT 8/25:

I was wrong - the radio still cuts out - so, I'm guessing rather than having a bad ground in an individual circuit - since I've had it hooked into two different ones - I'll have to check my battery grounds.

Also - is there a ground on the fuse block itself - other than the mounting screw ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back