WOW Factor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
I wonder if the WoW Factor would be or is bigger for your 71-73"s down under then it would be for the Falcons from down under in the U.S. I think we would get alot of (what is it) here then Wow. Wonder what it cost to ship one here?

Alan L

I would guess there'd be bigger wow factor in Australia for the Mustang than there would be for the Falcon in the US. As I've mentioned in one of my earlier posts, we Aussies never had much choice in 60's/70's 2 door muscle cars, so the US cars really do stand out on the road here as wow cars. Also, none of our coupes were designed purely to be pony car type coupes either - they were all derivatives of the sedan versions so all lacked the pony car trademark long hood and short deck which I reckon is part of the reason that Mustangs look so sporty against the local options.

Many people see the Falcon coupe in films like Mad Max and draw the comparison with the 71-73 Mustang, but really apart from the NASA style hood and the grille/bumper area the Falcon is a very different animal when you actually stand next to each of them and look them over (that's my opinion, because I've owned both). I've heard them described as a Torino-like derivative, and with all the obvious US influences showing in their design I would imagine that people in the States would be initially more quizzical about what it was rather than wow. Especially considering the hundreds of different types of awesome muscle/pony cars you guys over there have got to choose from on your own home soil, I would think that a Falcon would just kinda blend in amongst them....

Here are a couple of pics I found on the net that show the two cars together:

Mustang-Falcon.jpg

Mustang-Falcon2.jpg

yellow-mustang-and-xb-coupe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS for the picture, Flatback.

I had not thought about trying to see the two versions side by side - - nice treat and I agree that Falcon is a nice looking car!

BT

I was thinking it kinda looks like a Torino...but it also kinda reminds me of........ dare I say it.....a a a Cheby Chevelle
I always thought it was a half breed: 71 Mustang cross Torino GT. Then from a certain angle the rear does look like a Chevelle. I believe Nevada Craigslist had an Aussie import for sale not to long ago.

I was thinking it kinda looks like a Torino...but it also kinda reminds me of........ dare I say it.....a a a Cheby Chevelle
I always thought it was a half breed: 71 Mustang cross Torino GT. Then from a certain angle the rear does look like a Chevelle. I believe Nevada Craigslist had an Aussie import for sale not to long ago.
There was a dreamer who had one for sale on ebay in the States eight months back who wanted US$150,000 for it. It was fairly nice looking car, but you could pick up something similar here in Australia for around $25,000 and ship it to the US for about $3,000.

I would guess there'd be bigger wow factor in Australia for the Mustang than there would be for the Falcon in the US. As I've mentioned in one of my earlier posts, we Aussies never had much choice in 60's/70's 2 door muscle cars, so the US cars really do stand out on the road here as wow cars. Also, none of our coupes were designed purely to be pony car type coupes either - they were all derivatives of the sedan versions so all lacked the pony car trademark long hood and short deck which I reckon is part of the reason that Mustangs look so sporty against the local options.

Many people see the Falcon coupe in films like Mad Max and draw the comparison with the 71-73 Mustang, but really apart from the NASA style hood and the grille/bumper area the Falcon is a very different animal when you actually stand next to each of them and look them over (that's my opinion, because I've owned both). I've heard them described as a Torino-like derivative, and with all the obvious US influences showing in their design I would imagine that people in the States would be initially more quizzical about what it was rather than wow. Especially considering the hundreds of different types of awesome muscle/pony cars you guys over there have got to choose from on your own home soil, I would think that a Falcon would just kinda blend in amongst them....

Here are a couple of pics I found on the net that show the two cars together:

Mustang-Falcon.jpg

Mustang-Falcon2.jpg

yellow-mustang-and-xb-coupe.jpg
couldn,t agree more mate, well said. nice pics too by the way, i also owned a xb gt coupe many moons ago, but i still prefer my 73 mach1 anyday . cheers Scott

WOW! There, I said it. And that was for the Falcon! I have always wanted one. About 6 years ago a guy down the street from me (3 houses over) had one. I helped him with some engine problems he was having and it just made me want the car even more. But, I had never seen one side by side with a 71-73 Mustang. From the front it sure looks huge compared to the Mustang! I still like it--thanks so much for sharing the pictures.

wow both of them are great looking cars, both of them should have that wow factor no matter where you drive!

Back