Transmission Identification

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB 71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
351 C
M Code
Hi guys,

Looking to identify my transmission. See pics. Transmissions are my weak point. Any help is appreciated. There is no tag. Just a stamp near the drive shaft end. Looks like 7A0AO? Need to change the gear oil as well. What brand/ type is recommended?

Thanks in advance

George

20160810_153742.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a toploader but you will have to have more info to get the seals. There are several different input and tail shaft sizes that it can be. There were hundreds of variations. Should have been a tag on the R.H. side up near the front. If original to the car it will also have part of VIN stamped along the top front edge. This site has pretty good info. http://mustangtek.com/transmission/Transmissions.html

Click on the blue link "4 speed toploader identification page" to see all the models. No telling what is in there. If not a 4 speed three speed info there also.

Very early 4 speeds only had 4 bolt holes like one in pic. This was only used for first 91 days of production the went from 25 spline output to 28 spline. You can also see ID tag in other pic. If you don't have the tag you can still get the seals just take the old ones with you and the number will be on the seal. Change both front and rear. When you take the cover off two of the bolts are different length, X on head, remember which holes they were in, front left and right rear if I recall. Oh the smell of old gear oil your wife will love it, lol.

Yup, that's a toploader. Oil needed is a GL-4 spec gear oil 75w-90 or thereabouts. Ford dealerships have it on the shelf, you'll need two quarts as the tranny will take 3~4 pints. Pull the bolt visible by the cross member to drain, fill level plug is on passenger side of tranny.

GL-5 will work, but the tranny won't shift as well.

Stay away from syntetic lubes with toploaders, they may make the transmission hard to shift into gear as they don't provide enough friction for the synchros to always turn freely and they can stop between teeth-an irritating situation.

thanks for reminding me its time to change my fluid now that my break in is done.

Thanks guys, I did find a tag covered in undercoating of some sort and it's exactly as you've said. 70/71 top loader 28 spline wide ratio....

Back