12k mile 72 Q code/auto conv for sale ebay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Thanks Ray,

for the heads up. She's a nice one for sure. One thing i noticed in the pics, and assuming the paint work is factory original,which it should be, do you all notice the amount of heavy factory peel there is in the paint work.

That's the way they were sprayed back in those days. My '73 Vert has factory paint in very good condition from the doors back, and my paint finish has a similar heavy peel to it as well. Worth noting i think, because these days, a lot of guys are respraying there Mustangs, and end up with a peel less finish. Not an original finish so to speak, but it comes down to personal preference i guess.:chin:

Greg.:)

Thanks Ray,

for the heads up. She's a nice one for sure. One thing i noticed in the pics, and assuming the paint work is factory original,which it should be, do you all notice the amount of heavy factory peel there is in the paint work.

That's the way they were sprayed back in those days. My '73 Vert has factory paint in very good condition from the doors back, and my paint finish has a similar heavy peel to it as well. Worth noting i think, because these days, a lot of guys are respraying there Mustangs, and end up with a peel less finish. Not an original finish so to speak, but it comes down to personal preference i guess.:chin:

Greg.:)
Fully agree. Original paint on my 72 convertible exactly the texture!

Ray

Please correct me if I am wrong, but should it not have the flat hood?
Pretty sure when you order the 351 4 V you get the NASA hood on any of the body styles

Pretty sure when you order the 351 4 V you get the NASA hood on any of the body styles
Don (OMS) is correct. Another good point is that all 72 q codes got the plain rear valence and turned-down exhausts. Just like Boss 351's. I think there is one known variance Boss but it is documented and extremely rare!

From the 1972 Facts Book.

Q code nasa hood.JPG

Ray

Don (OMS) is correct. Another good point is that all 72 q codes got the plain rear valence and turned-down exhausts. Just like Boss 351's. I think there is one known variance Boss but it is documented and extremely rare!

Ray
Ray, out of interest

what does the 'Facts Book' say for the 1973 Q Code?

Don (OMS) is correct.  Another good point is that all 72 q codes got the plain rear valence and turned-down exhausts.  Just like Boss 351's.  I think there is one known variance Boss but it is documented and extremely rare!

Ray
Ray, out of interest

what does the 'Facts Book' say for the 1973 Q Code?
Wow.  I am very sorry for this late reply but the 73 Facts Book does not mention the NASA hood as standard for 73 Mustangs with Q code engines.  So I'd say they were not so equipped.  Keep in mind 73 Mach 1's (like for 71 and 72) showed the NASA hood as std for Mach's with all V8's except for 302 F code Machs.  NASA hoods were a no cost option for F code Machs.  

Ray

On my 73 Mach 1 window sticker the Mach 1 option does not list the NASA hood as part of it. I does not show up as an add on option either. It came with the Q code engine. Hood stripe and locks were extra so this car is correct not to have them.

I have a 72 Q that also did not have the locks but going to paint a hood like this one and also one with locks and strip.

David

Did one of our members purchase the car back then?

Another thing that should be noted about the car. Was very near the end of the production. The build date of July 3, 1972 would have been the last day for 72 model builds. They do model changes over the July 4th. holiday. There are a few left overs going through but not many. It also got sent to Wixom for something before being sold. Interesting car for sure. Cannot believe it went that high. The 73 loaded vert last year that had never been washed was only $35,000 and it was loaded with everything.

David

David -

From my understanding the last day for ALL 1972 Mustang production was August 4th, 1972.

My 72 Q/4spd conv had a later date (built 7-29-72) and later vin than this car. I believe my car was one of the last 10 or so 72 Q code 4 speed cars produced. As you know all VINS numerically do not indicate a built car. For example in 72 there were quite a few cancelled VINs (obligated as a VIN but never built). Also two cars with numerically sequential VINs do not necessarily mean they were on the same line one behind the other.

Concerning your 73 Mach 1, all 71-3 Mach's other that 302 equipped models received a NASA hood. 302 cars showed NASA hood as a no-cost option that most orders, whether STOCK or RETAIL took advantage of that free upgrade.

Ray

I just saw this post. Here's the deal with the hood on the verts (which I know very well):

Regarding 1971s- flat hood unless Ram Air ordered, except for 429 cars. I'm pretty sure all 429 cars got the NASA hood. Has anyone seen a flat hood on a 429 vert?

Regarding 1972s-if you ordered the Q code 351C 4V you got the Non functional Ram Air hood as part of the deal at no extra charge. That's why I like the 72 verts. the best, unless it's a really loaded out 71 or 73. Ford "threw in" a bunch of extras on the 72s, but were stingy on the 73s and even more so on the 71s (4 wheel manual drum brakes, manual steering, no wheel moldings or rocker moldings unless decor group ordered, standard seat belts, 2 bolt main 4V blocks as opposed to the 4 bolt main 4V blocks in 72 and 73, etc.).

Regarding 1973s- all verts got the flat hood BUT there was an option called the "Two Tone Hood Option" that could have been ordered on any of the verts. It included the NASA hood, black or argent hood patch, and the locks.

My 73  came with the tutone hood paint for an extra 34.00.  The cost of the options back then where very cheap compared to today car  option prices where everything is in a package.

John J

My 73  came with the tutone hood paint for an extra 34.00.  The cost of the options back then where very cheap compared to today car  option prices where everything is in a package.

John J
Yes, but A/C was relatively expensive-$365 in 1973- about 12% of the price of the car!
The am/fm radio was no bargain at 191.01 either.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:

John J
Yes, but A/C was relatively expensive-$365 in 1973- about 12% of the price of the car!
The am/fm radio was no bargain at 191.01 either.

John J
Agreed!

Back