Special Edition Mustangs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/mump-1210-special-edition-ford-mustangs/

I found this article interesting. There are many models on here I had never heard of. My neighbor had a new 69 Mustang E. My dad tried to buy it but no sell.

69 Mustang E.jpg

Article only lists the 1971 Spring Specials

1971 Spring Special ad large.jpg

and the 1972 Sprints that we all already knew about.

1972 Sprint Hardtop a.jpg

But I would bet there are still a few dealer only promotions that haven't been identified for our years. Only the dealers or folks that traded with them would know! Time to search old newspaper ads! :chin:

Frank Cone Special comes to mind . :happyno:

(sorry Eric but I had to!) :p

Ray

Oh come on - you know that the Frank Cone GT was the equivalent of finding the 7th original Shelby Cobra Daytona Racing Coupe. :whistling:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/mump-1210-special-edition-ford-mustangs/

I found this article interesting. There are many models on here I had never heard of. My neighbor had a new 69 Mustang E. My dad tried to buy it but no sell.

Article only lists the 1971 Spring Specials and the 1972 Sprints that we all already knew about. But I would bet there are still a few dealer only promotions that haven't been identified for our years. Only the dealers or folks that traded with them would know! Time to search old newspaper ads! :chin:

Frank Cone Special comes to mind . :happyno:

(sorry Eric but I had to!) :p

Ray
Ray,

We had talked some about this before. Back in the 70's one of the guys I worked with got either a 71 or 72 special edition that came from Texas. It had special badges but I cannot remember the name but it had a full vinyl roof that looked like leather and the trim even looked like leather. It was not done like the after market full roofs that I have seen. It could have been one of those DSO special order deals. Too bad Marti did not get the info on the DSO special orders there were hundreds each year and that is all he can report is how many there were but not what was included. In 73 there were 277 with special paint and 144 with special paint / trim. These numbers show up on my Elite Marti report on my Black 73 vert.

There are so many mysteries to solve, lol.

The second one is the one i have, i have a girly car!!:jawdrop:

Added the magnum 500 wheels, but we still have the original rings and dogfish caps. And a custom auto sound stero. Except that it's all put back like when came out.

Added the magnum 500 wheels, but we still have the original rings and dogfish caps. And a custom auto sound stero. Except that it's all put back like when came out.
Someone painted the black on the hood. Don't think it was original that way.

Car would look cool with the original trim rings and caps. Any pics of it like that?

Can't remember when I saw an original Spring Special any nicer than yours.

Ray

I'm going to have to start digging. Ford was known for running PA/OH/WV (tri-state) only specials on the Mustang, Cougar, and T-Bird that came through the Pittsburgh distro center.

Back