Sparking steering wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
There are sparks coming from the steering column and wheel. Also, now the horn doesn't work and my brake lights work only sometimes. When the brake lights don't, i press the pedal and hear a click from the gauge area, a weird "boing" sound from the glove compartment area and my dome light flickers. All of the exterior lights still work, including the taillights. What could be causing this?

My car sat for years and i am now almost done with a complete mechanical rebuild. I replaced my original worn wheel with a grant. When installing the steering wheel, i noticed the quality was disappointing, especially their horn switch set up. The car hasn't been on the road yet since the rebuild, and won't be until this problem is fixed.

20160610_222910.jpg

Not sure what to tell you on the grant but I now have a new correct two spoke wheel for our cars

Wheel, pad, switch, trim plate and cover all in stock

Don

one of the first projects on my car was removal of the grant steering wheel to a proper garbage can, and install of an OEM wheel.

one of the first projects on my car was removal of the grant steering wheel to a proper garbage can, and install of an OEM wheel.
How very odd - I did the exact opposite and couldn't be happier. ;)

Having the right installation kit is a big deal. There are at least 3 different kits for early Mustangs (65, 65-67, and 68-73 showing at NPD).

This is the correct Grant wheel mounting kit for our vehicles. 3600-12K

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_installation_kit_grant_challenger_and_classic_wheel-148921-2818.html

3600-12k.jpg

Hope this helps.

One of the wires may have gotten dislodged or pinched that runs to the turn signal switch, or the cancellation pin may be protruding too far into the column.

I used the correct adapter but I noticed while looking online, this problem is more common than i thought with Grant steering wheels. Due to the lack is time, the original wheel is going back. It might not be as pretty, but it doesn't have these issues. I'll make sure to post an update. Thanka to everyone for your continuing help. I wish everyone and their family a good weekend.

Found the problem. The adapter plate was too deep and it rubbed the top of the hazard switch.

20160813_205547518.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back