Has anyone seen markings like this before; what does it mean?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual
As I tore apart my 73 convertible, I found a large # 3 9 written in what looks like soap stone on the back of the rear seat body panel (see picture). It was only visible when I removed the roof frame and vinyl well liner. Looks like it may have been put there during production. I have the Loise Eminger invoice and the car was sold in mid June of 1973 by Ford Marketing to Ford Marketing to a person identified by name on the invoice "H. Hartman", essentially an inter-company sale.

Has anyone seen markings like this before and knows what it means?

Thanks

20140924_210639.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it correspond to any numbers in your VIN, build sheet, invoice or buck tag? Obviously used on the assembly line to reference something... Interesting.

Ray

Does it correspond to any numbers in your VIN, build sheet, invoice or buck tag? Obviously used on the assembly line to reference something... Interesting.

Ray
Not that I have found. My buildsheet is stuck firmly to the carpet underlayment and not legible anymore and the number is not on the rad support or any of the other typical places, so I do not know the (first) rotation number. The number does not match anything on my buck tag so it is not the first rotation number. I have read that there were two rotation numbers. The prevailing thought is that it is a rotation number, but I have not found anyone who has seen it written on the back of the rear seat back before and could confirm it.

You can use wax and grease remover to release the build sheet. It's slow, don't rush it. It will float away
can you tell me more on how to do this? mine is also unreadable.

thanks

Back