Front Valance Trouble

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezsnake

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang, 351C 4V
Has anyone had any trouble getting the front valance to align correctly at all the mount points? Reassembling the front end ... door and body lines/gaps look pretty good, grill is on, bumper is on, hood lines up well. I needed a new front valance. I loosely installed it with the center bolts and notice where the sides meet the fender is off ...way off. It looks like the valance would need to shift rearward at least 3/4" to line up properly with the fender. Without widening the holes in the valance, bending the valance, or possibly modifying the center mounts, I don't see a way to get it to align with both the side and center mounting points at the same time. I can't imagine that the fenders are that far back ... everything else, including from the windshield on back seems to fit and look good. I can try to post some pics later today. Thanks.

If you purchased a repo part it will be WAY OFF. They do come up short and have to be cut and pieces added to get proper fit. You are much better off to find and original part in this area. It is not uncommon, with the repo parts, to have to add or take away material on replacement parts. It is a pain in the butt for sure.

Post your pictures but I bet that is your issue.

Looks like the first 5 attachments never got saved/posted to the thread.

I have repop fenders and valances, and what David said is true - they do need some tweaking to get them to fit right.

Yeah, not sure what happened to those pics. Must be user error. :) But, you're right ... I measured the bolt holes on the valance and compared to the spacing on the fender. Some aren't even close. 1/2 inch or more difference.

So, did you modify the holes in your valance to get it to fit?

A little bit of both (the holes on the bottom of the fenders as well as the valance). I had to be super careful as well, since I didn't test-fit before taking it all to the painter (ran out of time and figured they'd put them on for me... nope, just painted the pieces). If you're not ready for paint yet, this is definitely the time to get it all right. :D

Here are some pics. Hope they're good enough to show what's happening.

Something doesn't look right with the positioning of your bolts

They look to be in the wrong place

Should be 3 on each end to the fender

Early 71 would have 2 in the center

Late 71 all 72 and 73's would have 1 center bolt

Well, having trouble figuring how to get more than 1 pic in the same post. Will have to go this route.

image.jpeg

It looks like someone added extra attachment places to your car. Mount it to the fenders first and see what lines up. Should only have one or two bolts at the bottom of the hood latch support members.

The pics of the underside are 1 each of left and right of center. The center bolt is not in either picture.

Yup - I had to elongate the valance to fender holes to get it fastened to the fenders in the right places. I also had to tug the fenders outward just a bit to make them fit right, but they were repop fenders as well - so, it is what it is.

If it's possible, you might just clamp the valance-to-fender joint together in the correct position, without any fasteners, and mark through the holes in the valance onto the bottom of the fenders. That will tell you how far off they are. It might even be possible to just drill some new holes through the fender - or vice versa if you can do the same thing through the fender holes onto the tops of the valance mounting points.

I hope that makes sense.

Good lookin' car, BTW ::thumb::

Thanks! Guess I have some fabrication work to do. So much for getting it out on the road this week.

Back