Front Valance Trouble

Has anyone had any trouble getting the front valance to align correctly at all the mount points? Reassembling the front end ... door and body lines/gaps look pretty good, grill is on, bumper is on, hood lines up well. I needed a new front valance. I loosely installed it with the center bolts and notice where the sides meet the fender is off ...way off. It looks like the valance would need to shift rearward at least 3/4" to line up properly with the fender. Without widening the holes in the valance, bending the valance, or possibly modifying the center mounts, I don't see a way to get it to align with both the side and center mounting points at the same time. I can't imagine that the fenders are that far back ... everything else, including from the windshield on back seems to fit and look good. I can try to post some pics later today. Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you purchased a repo part it will be WAY OFF. They do come up short and have to be cut and pieces added to get proper fit. You are much better off to find and original part in this area. It is not uncommon, with the repo parts, to have to add or take away material on replacement parts. It is a pain in the butt for sure.

Post your pictures but I bet that is your issue.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Looks like the first 5 attachments never got saved/posted to the thread.

I have repop fenders and valances, and what David said is true - they do need some tweaking to get them to fit right.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Yeah, not sure what happened to those pics. Must be user error. :) But, you're right ... I measured the bolt holes on the valance and compared to the spacing on the fender. Some aren't even close. 1/2 inch or more difference.

So, did you modify the holes in your valance to get it to fit?

A little bit of both (the holes on the bottom of the fenders as well as the valance). I had to be super careful as well, since I didn't test-fit before taking it all to the painter (ran out of time and figured they'd put them on for me... nope, just painted the pieces). If you're not ready for paint yet, this is definitely the time to get it all right. :D

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Here are some pics. Hope they're good enough to show what's happening.

Something doesn't look right with the positioning of your bolts

They look to be in the wrong place

Should be 3 on each end to the fender

Early 71 would have 2 in the center

Late 71 all 72 and 73's would have 1 center bolt

It looks like someone added extra attachment places to your car. Mount it to the fenders first and see what lines up. Should only have one or two bolts at the bottom of the hood latch support members.

Yup - I had to elongate the valance to fender holes to get it fastened to the fenders in the right places. I also had to tug the fenders outward just a bit to make them fit right, but they were repop fenders as well - so, it is what it is.

If it's possible, you might just clamp the valance-to-fender joint together in the correct position, without any fasteners, and mark through the holes in the valance onto the bottom of the fenders. That will tell you how far off they are. It might even be possible to just drill some new holes through the fender - or vice versa if you can do the same thing through the fender holes onto the tops of the valance mounting points.

I hope that makes sense.

Good lookin' car, BTW ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Another example of poor quality and workmanship for 71-73 mustang reproduction parts.

mustang7173 :s

Thanks,

mustang7173 🇺🇸

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" -- John Wayne

Another example of poor quality and workmanship for 71-73 mustang reproduction parts.

I have heard horror stories. I have not personally had the pleasure.

I have heard horror stories. I have not personally had the pleasure.

Atleast they are repopping the stuff. Better than working with nothing at all or having to find some workable factory parts. But yes it is a pain in the arse getting repop stuff to fit properly.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

Maybe but LOOK he has bolts where they do not belong

Valances get 3 bolts on each end and a center bolt

Adding custom brackets and 4 more bolts may or may not tweak the valance

Maybe but LOOK he has bolts where they do not belong Valances get 3 bolts on each end and a center bolt Adding custom brackets and 4 more bolts may or may not tweak the valance

Yes - that part, too. Good point, Don. ::thumb::

cheezsnake, you might want to let all of those bottom fasteners loose, find the center mounting point Don is talking about, and loosely mount the fastener in that location. Once you get that done, then check the fitment on the ends again.

I'm pretty sure the holes still won't line up on the valance-to-fender mounting points on either side as I ran into the same issue with mine (the distances between the three mounting holes being different between the fenders and valance), but at least you'll have the underside mounted properly before you start tweaking the other areas. :cool:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Sorry. I didn't quite understand what you were trying to say earlier. Still confused. The valance has 11 mount holes. 3 mount points on each end attach to the fenders. There are 5 mount points across the valance. The 1 in the center must mount to a bracket (which I think my car is missing). The 2 holes at the guard position (football terminology) mount to the bottom of the hood latch braces, and the 2 at the tackle position mount to L-brackets that attach to the frame.

Am I reading correctly that only the center mount point is supposed to be used out of the front 5? Those other mount locations and brackets don't look custom. I assumed they were factory. I've got the valance back down, so I can attach pictures of what's going on above it.

Here's a pic of the mount points on the car. Notice the speed nuts on the bottom of the hood latch braces, and the 2 L-brackets outside of those. The center mount bracket is missing. Both those L-brackets are exactly the same and are slotted for adjustment. If they're custom, somebody spent some time on them. But, you're right. If the other 4 holes are not to be used, that could cause a problem.

image.thumb.jpeg.d5323b0f786393275744666c68b86b63.jpeg

From that picture

Your car is an early 71 with a dual mount center grille support

Your valance would mount with 3 bolts on each fender and 2 in the center to the grill mount brackets = 8 total mounting points

The two extra brackets on your core support are not to mount the valance.

They look like the brackets for the lower bumper guards. Fairly rare option on early 71 cars.