Heading Out of Town

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejnonamaker

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C 2v
I am most likely heading out of town for a year. I'll be back about every 3-4 months for two weeks. Our restoration project is garaged in Weirton, WV. Any suggestions beyond disconnecting the battery on what I should do for the car while it sets? You can look at my individual build thread to kinda see where my project is at. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
fire up the engine and run for a few minutes. look under the gas tank for a rubber hose or at the engine compartment. kill the engine and clamp off the fuel hose.. but first go to a marine store and get a spray can of fogger that is used to store marine engines for the winter.. now run engine at a medium speed till it starts to stumble and start spraying and it'll kill the engine.. let it sit..

change oil before doing this too.. put up on jack stands, cover and say goodbye. i use that engine storing stuff in every engine i plan on sitting for an

extended time.. be aware when u start it up it'll smoke for a while...

Thanks for the info. My gas tank is currently at about 1/16th of a tank. Top it off and treat for storage or leave near empty?

Here's what you really need to do. Provide us the address of the house, and leave the keys to the Mustang under the driver's side floor mat. I'm sure someone here will be more than willing to drive the car around the block a few times to keep the battery charged and fluids circulating for when you get back.

Oh, and if you leave your credit card under the floor mat as well, they will even fill your tank up for you.

You're more than welcome for this excellent advice.

Add some fuel stabilizer, run it to insure it's in the lines and carb, (also make sure it has fresh oil), crank it over a few times prior to really trying to start it after it's been sitting, it should be fine.

Make sure the tank is full otherwise you'll have condensation above the fuel level which makes your tank rust from the inside out. When it's full there's no room for condensation.

Here's what you really need to do. Provide us the address of the house, and leave the keys to the Mustang under the driver's side floor mat. I'm sure someone here will be more than willing to drive the car around the block a few times to keep the battery charged and fluids circulating for when you get back.

Oh, and if you leave your credit card under the floor mat as well, they will even fill your tank up for you.

You're more than welcome for this excellent advice.
I'll top it off before I go. It's up for grabs. I'll mail whoever wants to come by once a month to crank it up and drive around the block the keys to the car and garage. If it gets near 1/4 tank let me know and I'll hook you up with a top off.

Can anyone show me a picture of their best long term, up on the jack stands spots for the front and rear? Thanks!

It's that time a little early this year. Fly out on the 23rd for my first of three in a row 4 month trips away from home..

00e26600e43b03fa843b113f0b95ff07.jpg

Good luck overseas and with the long term storage.

Thanks! There's a 71-73 coupe that sits on the right side of the road if you head east out of Charleston on US 60 about 15-20 minutes.

Back