Recommended brake pads for 7173 or any vehicle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
Anyone looking for a great brake pad for the 7173 or any vehicle I highly recommended Hawk pads. I installed them on my Mustang and had a noticeable difference in brake grip and stopping power.

I was so impressed I bought a set for my 08 Ford Explorer and wasn't disappointed.

And no I don't work for them nor I'm I getting paid by them. I just was tired of the over the counter parts store brand pads making noise and lasting about 2 years.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads/hb646f526

Have you tried them on the 7173? I know when I did the swap to my 67 a few years back with a set of 72's I couldn't get any aftermarket pad to work as none of them had the required pin holes. It was all I could do to get a standard set that would work!

Will definitely go with the Hawk next time on my F150, bought the top of the line pads from NAPA and every week they turn my front rims black with brake dust. The OEM pads never did that.

Have you tried them on the 7173? I know when I did the swap to my 67 a few years back with a set of 72's I couldn't get any aftermarket pad to work as none of them had the required pin holes. It was all I could do to get a standard set that would work!
Yes have them on my 71. They have the correct pin holes in them. Work great.

Yes have them on my 71. They have the correct pin holes in them. Work great.
Same here, put them on my 71 last month. Work great and a noticeable change in braking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MW5WC8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to get a couple sets once the 67' is put back together

one thing with higher performance pads, and i don't know anything about hawks;

sometimes the brake material is made for track and not street cars.

What this means is the brake material/powder that comes off the brakes when mixing with road dirt and water from rain can turn into cement.

Years ago i bought a set of performance pads that were also recommended for racing. it turned out for me that water mixing with the brake dirt formed cement. It threw the balance off completely on all 4 tires and caused some REALLY bad vibration and handling. when the issue was finally figured out, it literally took a jack hammer to remove the build up and it etched all 4 rims that i had to have refinished.

thus i went back to a lower performance pad that didn't have the issue.

just food for thought and keep an eye out when changing to a higher performance brake material.

Also putting ceramic pads on the front without upgrading the calipers can lead to decreased braking performance. They need to operate at a higher temperature than semimetallics and few drive street cars hard enough to keep them hot enough to perform properly.

My wife and I bought a used motor home on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis. The pads looked good, the rotors not so good, I didn't like the way the brakes felt or sounded. I got a set of Centric OE Formula pads (100 series) and Centric high carbon rotors (125 series) from RockAuto. They looked very nice when I pulled them out of the boxes. They function just as well as they look, they feel good, excellent braking, and no noises.

It doesn't look like Centric has much to offer for our Mustangs, but I recommend the higher end ones for anything else.

Bendix. Look online. Very inexpensive, very quiet. NEVER BUY AUTO STORE BRANDS or RAYBESTOS.

SBC34 STOP by Bendix Ceramic; OE Pad Material Is Semi-Metallic

or

D34 (Disc Brake Pad) for front disc.

Front/Rear Drum, depends on your car. Here is a list of part#'s

R169

RS169

R151

RS151

RS152

R152

http://www.bendix-brakes.com/product_catalog.php?type=vin

Last edited by a moderator: