Are our cars really that much bigger?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool stuff for sure. I think people get the wrong idea about the size of the car based on the proportion of the hood length to the rest of the car. I just tell my buddies they needed all that room under the hood for the engine. :)

someone posted an overlay comparison awhile back that showed the

71 mustang was abt two inches longer and two inches higher than a 70 Mustang.

Jason is right its the hood that hides the cowl and wipers that makes the

car appear so long. A 70 has a hood abt seven inches shorter.

Paul

The new design rage of the 70's was the under hood, cowl parked wipers that presented a clean uncluttered look. 73pony nailed it on the extra length of the hood over the cowl area giving a false longer car look. If you want another perspective of the 71's size, park it next to a 2016 Mustang. You'll be surprised how the 71 looks like it shrunk!!

The new design rage of the 70's was the under hood, cowl parked wipers that presented a clean uncluttered look. 73pony nailed it on the extra length of the hood over the cowl area giving a false longer car look. If you want another perspective of the 71's size, park it next to a 2016 Mustang. You'll be surprised how the 71 looks like it shrunk!!
Exactly... I have my '71 vert next to my '13 Boss LS and the boss is huge, especially on the width... It has been known for ions that the '71 was only slightly larger then the previous model year, wheel base increase etc. People chose to use this against the car, not recognizing the new model year positives ie: larger engine bay for the '71 easy 429 BB install and the 501ci engine that would have shown up in '72... Better power steering and many other improvements. The rear flat back 1/4 panel areas on the fastbacks also add to the the perceived increase in overall stature....

Last edited:
attachment.php

Yup. They got freaken huge in '71 :rolleyes:

One more thing ----- all earlier years' Mustangs drove like a pickup! Yeah they could be modified to make that better but my previous point stands affirmed!

And the 1974 - 1978 Mustangs had serious trouble getting out of their own way! I have owned and driven a few.

Ray

Cut, paste, save.

There's one of those comparison pics I was looking for. Yeah... our cars definitely earned the 'Clydesdale' nickname... that's for sure.

But honestly, I kind like nickname myself. Is that so wrong? :whistling:

It is weird when you're in a parking lot with your 7173 and park next to some newer "muscle cars" and realize how small our cars are.

A friend who used to run a salvage yard let me weigh my car on his scales. I'll take a pic of the ticket and post it. I think my 71 Mach came in around 3,100

Back