Anyone done a front drum to disc conversion?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFrance729

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Coupe, 302
1985 Buick Riviera
So the drum brakes on my car now look like they are from 1973 and just need to be replaced regardless. What I want to know is if anyone has done the front drum to disc conversion, what kit they bought, and if you have any tips about the process.

Last week I upgraded my factory setup drum brakes front/rear with no brake booster to discs front/rear and added a booster. Best upgrade yet - the difference is between hot and cold.

When I bought this car the first I thing I purchased was this booster:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/master-power-brake-booster-conversion-kit-1971-1973/p/BBCK4/

The booster that came with my kit did not look like the stock 71-73 booster more like something from a 69-70 but everything is there to do the conversion. Works great.

I purchased SSBC brakes - codes a133-2 (front discs), a111-2 (rear discs) and added/replaced the distribution block code a0730. You should be able to check those codes on their website. I didn't bother with slotted discs or bigger sized rotors but no doubt some of those options would be fun too.

I purchased this stuff about 2-3 years back and it sat in storage ever since. I serviced my drum brakes soon after and came to the conclusion they were sufficient after doing so. But recently I decided to fit the kits to the car as I couldn't use them elsewhere and started to get the itch to do the upgrade!

I added rear discs because at the time I felt why not. They did make a difference but the booster and front discs will make the biggest difference. Personal preference whether to add rear discs but I have not regretted it. Some guys would say rear discs over rear drums is about a 5-10% performance boost. Obviously you would have to decide if the extra cost was worth it.

These kits said they would not work with 14" wheels. I am running aftermarket/modern reproduction Magnum 500 rims (14x7 front, 14x8 rear) these work fine. I did try an OEM 14" Magnum 500 rim that was good too. Tried a standard 14" rim that didn't fit (a weld on the inside got in the way) - that could be something to be aware of.

If adding rear discs, the rear parking brake cable worked fine no modification needed on my car but could be something that needs work. The brake lines needed customizing but mainly at the rear axle.

Had to make a custom bracket for the SSBC distribution block and re-plumb the brake lines in that area. Otherwise everything went as per instructions.

Something different...

I had drums also, but I made caliper brackets myself, used aluminium Skyline 4piston calipers and Mercedes rotors. Rotors are 300mm x 28mm. Also added power brake master cylinder. Modified pedal too.

DSC_2356.JPG

DSC_2677.JPG

I went with all factory ford components for easy parts availability. I can go to any parts store and get pads, rotors, calipers, master cylinder...easy. I got all my parts of a donor 72 vert. Im sure Don at OMS could hook you up if you wanted to go that route. I haven't got around to putting the booster and master cylinder in yet but the disc brakes work great even though they are manual still. All you really need are the spindles and you can buy everything else locally at any parts store. If you want to go with factory brake booster and master cylinder, you will need the pedal and bracket under dash too.

2j4xd6v.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted on this subject before. I chose SSBC 4 piston Kelsey-Hayes style drum to disc conversion kit purchased from NPD. I had only manual drums up front and initially stayed with non power discs. I also wanted to stay with the 14" wheels as the tires were new when I bought the car a year before. Still, very effective compared to drums. I just recently added a factory booster. Big job, but worth it. Posted on that too. I did NOT have to change spindles. While at it, I changed the brake lines to a SS preformed kit. I would NOT trust 40+ year old lines with the added pressure for discs. Even with replacing the lines, it only took me an hour and a half to do the right side, and only a half hour to do the left. Very easy conversion. The kit came with all new parts including a new 1" bore master cylinder. Don't forget to prime that first!!

In my case the only problem was the master cylinder supplied did not have the grove on the flange diameter (?) for the dust boot. I had to cut one with a dremel tool. I suspect it was for a power booster. Other than that, well worth doing

I went with all factory ford components for easy parts availability. I can go to any parts store and get pads, rotors, calipers, master cylinder...easy. I got all my parts of a donor 72 vert.
Here in Finland it makes no difference, its easier to get parts to european cars than american. And this was lot cheaper to me too... Just have to be creative :D

Thanks for all the great info guys. For now I'll just be doing some more research until I can get my roof situation...somewhat under control.

There is a big Mustang junk yard a few hours away from me, I have been told. Might be able to get most of the parts there (although I kinda would rather go with a kit for quality reasons)

I did the upgrade from manual 4 wheel drum to power front disk and rear drum. I used the factory front brakes. You will need several parts. If your adding power get ready to do some cutting and drilling to firewall. Needed. Front spendel, calapers, pads, rotors, brake hoses, and new steel lines. A proportion valve, power booster, master cyl, and you will need to change the brake pedal. The brake pedal is needed if you have manual brakes. The pivot point is different on the pedal.

The hard lines are different as well. It's a lot of work but can be done. But get ready to replace a lot of stuff.

So the drum brakes on my car now look like they are from 1973 and just need to be replaced regardless. What I want to know is if anyone has done the front drum to disc conversion, what kit they bought, and if you have any tips about the process.
CFrance729

I looked at the different conversions out there and considered the Granada/Monarch swap and what I would have to buy.

Ended up buying a complete 1973 donor mach 1

scored the complete front disc brakes and all the hardware plus complete toploader trans and components, full length console and the list goes on and on.

Paid $ 500 for the donor car plus a road trip to get it.

I ended up buying master cylinder, calipers, hoses, rotors, pads & hardware.

Took a chance on the booster and for now it seems fine, brakes work quite well.

consider all the little trinkets you will need to make the job look factory

such as pedal support and pedal assembly and combination valve

I have $900 into my power disc brakes and a donor car that will keep on giving.

Boilermaster

CFrance729

I looked at the different conversions out there and considered the Granada/Monarch swap and what I would have to buy.

Ended up buying a complete 1973 donor mach 1

scored the complete front disc brakes and all the hardware plus complete toploader trans and components, full length console and the list goes on and on.

Paid $ 500 for the donor car plus a road trip to get it.

I ended up buying master cylinder, calipers, hoses, rotors, pads & hardware.

Took a chance on the booster and for now it seems fine, brakes work quite well.

consider all the little trinkets you will need to make the job look factory

such as pedal support and pedal assembly and combination valve

I have $900 into my power disc brakes and a donor car that will keep on giving.

Boilermaster
Lucky bugger!! $500 for a complete car, well scored.

I went the donor car route as well- badly rusted 72 Grande, grabbed all of the power disc brake stuff, don't forget to swap pedals as the manual vs. power pivot pin location is different. I saved some other bits and pieces, got the car rolling gain and sold it for the running engine/trans.

I you are looking for a nice driver there's nothing wrong with the OEM PDB setup in my opinion.

Back