1971 coupe in Canada

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stock429

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang coupe
I have this 1971 Mustang coupe, for several years, and joined this forum to try and rekindle interest in the car, and finish it. It has 429 engine , C-6 transmission, 9 inch rear with 3.73 gears. What's not to be interested?

Well the steering and brakes need fixed, and the interior is all apart, driver's seat is OK. The steering wheel and signal light switch need some help, and it needs to be inspected before registration.

With some helpful hints, and motivation, I would like to see this car be a daily driver. My neighbor wants to take it to the local race track on a trailer.

123.JPG

Will get some pictures of the car, that was the motor, on the dyno, stock rebuild, stock 4 bl intake that came with the motor ( fits Holley carb) some headers the dyno shop had. It did 396 HP and 452 Tq. Flat torque curve, good idle, with 13 in of vacuum at idle. Running premium pump gas on the dyno. Motor is in the car now, hooked to a rebuilt c-6, rebuilder says he used all kevlar bands.

I just want the car to run well in stock form. 396 HP is good enough for me. There is vacuum for the power steering, and the power peak is at 5000 rpm. Tq is 441 at 3100 and peaks at 4200 , now if I can finish it and get that safety inspection.

Welcome to the forums! I'm restoring a 72 Coupe but it only has a 306...LOL! Hope you enjoy the site!

::welcome::

Welcome to the site. That engine looks awsome! You should find plenty of inspiration here to get your project back on track!

The valve covers are from Tony Branda, He advertizes in the Mustang magazines, and has repro valve covers for all the old Ford engines. The water pump is the wrong color of blue, and the engine builder had some of the correct paint, we fixed it after the dyno pulls. The distributor is the newer electronic type, looks stock, but runs better. Good power with 30 degrees advance and no ping. Not bad for high compression with DOVE heads.

Will get some pictures of the car, that was the motor, on the dyno, stock rebuild, stock 4 bl intake that came with the motor ( fits Holley carb) some headers the dyno shop had. It did 396 HP and 452 Tq. Flat torque curve, good idle, with 13 in of vacuum at idle. Running premium pump gas on the dyno. Motor is in the car now, hooked to a rebuilt c-6, rebuilder says he used all kevlar bands.

I just want the car to run well in stock form. 396 HP is good enough for me. There is vacuum for the power steering, and the power peak is at 5000 rpm. Tq is 441 at 3100 and peaks at 4200 , now if I can finish it and get that safety inspection.
Those are some cool numbers. You wouldn't have a video of that dyno run would you.:D

And as a Canadian myself welcome to the site.

No video, just pictures and graphs. The dyno operator wanted to see 400 hp, so he changed carb jets, added spacers, changed timing, and so on , with no change in output ! He says the stock cast iron intake is restrictive. He says a Torker II single plane would bring up the power. But I like the stock look, and the stock low RPM torque. The car is grabber green ( metallic in 1971), now where is my camera?

Found it.

71 Mustang 005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back