351c short block DFW

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you this. I recently sold a 351c that was in need a complete build for more than $350.
If they still have it I figure it is worth the block if the crosshatch is still good. About 15 miles from me.

I wonder how I can tell if it is stolen?

These are my red flags:

1. Did he blueprint the pistons? (weight matches piston to piston).

2. He didn't tell you the under on the crank. What is it? I understand anything greater than .0015 is a problem.

Take some of the putty sticks and after he gives you a number, pull a crank journal mount off and check with the putty. See what it tells you(I know there is a putty accuracy controversy, but what are you gonna do). I would also take my own CERTIFIED ACCURATE torque wrench to confirm.

3. He didn't tell you the over on the pistons. Are they .030? And, whatever he tells you, double check.

4. He should have the receipt for the machine shop who did the work, so you can check with them on their reliability.

I could/will be writing a book about this. But that is more than a start.

Oh, and most importantly, did he paint the block yet and is the paint dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I get it the plan is to blow it all apart and check clearances. And store it. I have a 4 bolt main block in the car, but I question some of the decisions I made twenty years ago.

For $350 a spare in cosmoline in the corner might not be a bad idea.

I would build it as a low compression stroker with trick flow heads and relocate my 174 supercharger and try for 10# of boost.

Its a good price. I would take it apart and check the clearances and then reassemble and store it away. When you go to look at it take a caliper with you so that you can measure the bore.

Its a good price. I would take it apart and check the clearances and then reassemble and store it away. When you go to look at it take a caliper with you so that you can measure the bore.
Ya.

I will have to break out the bitching set of tools from when I rebuilt my wankel.

Telescopic bore sizes and mitu mics

Well... there it is. :cool:

All things considered, I think it's a good deal - even if you just pull it all apart and start all over, 351C blocks alone are getting tougher to find for that kind of money.

Sounds like you found yourself something cool to me. Good luck! ::thumb::

Work got in the way.

Somebody got a good deal. :/

Oh well. Maybe next time.
Well, let's say the pistons were .060 over and the crank was -.0015. Does anyone think that would be a good deal? To me it is a boat anchor.

Work got in the way.

Somebody got a good deal. :/

Oh well. Maybe next time.
Well, let's say the pistons were .060 over and the crank was -.0015. Does anyone think that would be a good deal? To me it is a boat anchor.
.060 over is a little too much in my opinion, but .040 isn't bad as everyone thinks! I ran a 40 over Cleveland for years with 0 issues and a 20 - 20 under crank. In a mild street build it would be fine.

Here we go again. :shootself:

If .060" over is so bad, why are there so many piston/ring options out there? It's no different than the doc saying your cholesterol's too high at 225 when the top line of 'Normal' is 240. :whistling:

Mine's running .060" over with a .010"/.010" original crank - and runs like a champ. Properly managed and purposed, .060" should be just fine for daily/occasional normal driving. Racing, probably not so much.

Here we go again. :shootself:

If .060" over is so bad, why are there so many piston/ring options out there? It's no different than the doc saying your cholesterol's too high at 225 when the top line of 'Normal' is 240. :whistling:

Mine's running .060" over with a .010"/.010" original crank - and runs like a champ. Properly managed and purposed, .060" should be just fine for daily/occasional normal driving. Racing, probably not so much.
yep ::thumb::

Back