Carpet install and spare tire/jack questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Two unrelated questions in one post:

1- I am in the process of installing the new carpet. When you fit the carpet under the door sills, do you cut just before the screws, somewhere in the middle of the sill, or past the screws to have the screws going through the carpet?

2- I am looking for pictures of how the spare tire, lock and jack are stored in the trunk. My car is a fastback.

Thank you.

My original carpet was cut like you said first, about half way through, just before the screw holes. So I made my replacement carpet the same way. The screws did NOT go through carpet. You are just trying to trap about 3/8" of it under edge of that sill.

My original carpet was cut like you said first, about half way through, just before the screw holes. So I made my replacement carpet the same way. The screws did NOT go through carpet. You are just trying to trap about 3/8" of it under edge of that sill.
+1. Also if you have a garment steamer it helps to get the carpet to relax and lay down better.

For the carpet, I cut it as long as I could but would still allow for the end to push down into the channel. As others have said, does not extend to screw holes.

Here is a pic of the spare tire set up for fastback with space saver. Taken from the trunk decal.

nmaq0h.jpg

For the carpet, I cut it as long as I could but would still allow for the end to push down into the channel. As others have said, does not extend to screw holes.

Here is a pic of the spare tire set up for fastback with space saver. Taken from the trunk decal.
Awesome! thank you for the pictures of the spare tire diagram.

In regards to the carpet that's what I thought, but I wanted to triple check before I cut. What confused me was the installation video from CJ Ponny where they state that the screws should go through the carpet. However, their installation is in a 67 model, which probably has a different sill plate design.

Thank you for all the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are at least 3 different spare decals for 1971. One for full size spare and two for SS spare tire. The SS spare would have been used with a car equipped with 60 series tires or/and fold down rear seat. One decal shows the inflator bottle mounted on top of the rim, and the other shows the inflator bottle mounted below the rim. Nailing down the production date change is challenging. Chuck

Just but mine in - I cut just before the screw holes

Two unrelated questions in one post:

1- I am in the process of installing the new carpet. When you fit the carpet under the door sills, do you cut just before the screws, somewhere in the middle of the sill, or past the screws to have the screws going through the carpet?

2- I am looking for pictures of how the spare tire, lock and jack are stored in the trunk. My car is a fastback.

Thank you.

There was a firm piece of cardboard under the carpet at the sill. Runs full length of the sill area. I remade mine from 16 guage galvanized metal. It keeps the aluminum sill plates from pushing carpet into wire trough.

well you can shoot some spray glue on them to help hold the carpet they help support the sill plates much better.

Back