Back of steering pump leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
I installed a brand new (not rebuilt) Cardone power steering pump. The pump was good the last couple of days. Today i found a leak in the back of the pump. After wiping the fluid, it almost looks like the leak is from the threaded piece on the back of the pump and not the pressure fitting. The reason is the fluid seems to be on the pump side of the bracket nut. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I will be working on the leak tomorrow and I hope I am able to fix it. It might be the fitting but I want to cover any and all possibilities

The nut went on easy. I always tighten by hand before using a wrench or ratchet. If it doesn't go on easy, I remove and start again.

There is a thin, round gasket that goes over the pump output fitting before the reservoir goes on. See 12 min. 50 sec. this video.

If it is missing it will leak. It will also leak if the reservoir retaining nut is loose. Chuck

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get started in a bit and I'm hoping I just need to tighten the reservoir retaining nut. Like I mentioned, the pump is a brand new pump and it didn't leak for the first 70 miles. I'll keep everyone posted

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get started in a bit and I'm hoping I just need to tighten the reservoir retaining nut. Like I mentioned, the pump is a brand new pump and it didn't leak for the first 70 miles. I'll keep everyone posted
I hope an eighth of a turn with a wrench solves the problem. Chuck

And the winner is!!!!!!! The reservoir retainer nut! I checked the mating surface of the fitting as well as the tube and they both looked good. The threads on the flare nut looked good as well. I took off the mounting bracket and tube retainer bracket and found the latter was a bit loose. I got to the reservoir retainer nut and it turned almost 1/4 turn. I reinstalled the pump, ran the engine and cycled the steering a bit and found the pump was dry. Once again, you guys are great! Thank you so very much!

Back