20W50 oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odmark

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mercury Cougar
Hello! Im getting ready for my fifth and last oil change in a while on my rebuilt Cleveland.

I used to get a 10w30 high zddp oil but my parts shop stopped selling them.

I have searched shops all over sweden and i can not find an oil that has a high rate of zddp with a viscosity under 20w50.

Now i talked to my local parts shop agin and they say that their Kendall liquid titanium 20w50 will work just fine with my rebuilt engine, but im not so sure ...

Would appreciate your take on this guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran 20w50 in my cleveland for a number of years until I came across a 5w50 oil made for classic cars this summer. Just don't try and start the car anywhere near freezing, I did it once and after several hours with a heater I finally got the engine to crank. It sounded awful, I have no doubt I took off some life from the bearings. Other than that in the summer the oil seemed fine.

Thanks for the input! I have used the kendall 20w50 before in old international scouts, and still use it in my old saab 95 with the old ford v4 engine.

That is because those engines have like 15.000 plus miles on them and it feels good to have a thicker oil to boost oil pressure. And also the extra zddp is good to have.

But in a rebuilt engine, hmm? Maybe it is okay, would like some more opinions.

I have not been able to find a single place that sells zddp additives either :(

The only thing i have found is Archoil, who have a swedish retailer.

Its not ZDDP but according to them its better, they said i should use their AR9200 Nano WS2 friction modifier.

Info on that:

AR9200 Nano WS2 Friction Modifier is a nano tungsten disulfide (WS2) Friction Modifier. WS2 is one of the most lubricious substances in the world. It offers far superior performance to molybdenum, graphite, Teflon® or any anti-wear additive in racing and gear oils. AR9200 penetrates and bonds to metal, wood, rubber, plastic and most surfaces. The lubricating, micro thin film features an ultra-low coefficient of friction (0.03 dynamic; 0.07 static) that prevents sticking and wear. It is ideal for many applications from engines and transmissions to sliding mechanisms and heavy load lubrication environments.

Watched Jay Lenos garage the other day and they showed some Archoil products and also said it would replace zddp.

But i dont know..

Turtle: Yes i know some mustang owners here in sweden run heavy duty diesel oil made for like excavators and such.

Very high zddp rating and cheap, like 90 bucks for 20 litres.

But im not sure about that either, maybe i should go for that?

ok, i would not use the titanium oil or the ws2 . the ws2 falls out of suspension and will then lay on the bottom of your oil pan where it wont do you much good . as was suggested, look for diesel oil with a small starburst on the label.

Its not ZDDP but according to them its better, they said i should use their AR9200 Nano WS2 friction modifier.

Info on that:

AR9200 Nano WS2 Friction Modifier is a nano tungsten disulfide (WS2) Friction Modifier. WS2 is one of the most lubricious substances in the world. It offers far superior performance to molybdenum, graphite, Teflon® or any anti-wear additive in racing and gear oils. AR9200 penetrates and bonds to metal, wood, rubber, plastic and most surfaces. The lubricating, micro thin film features an ultra-low coefficient of friction (0.03 dynamic; 0.07 static) that prevents sticking and wear. It is ideal for many applications from engines and transmissions to sliding mechanisms and heavy load lubrication environments.

Watched Jay Lenos garage the other day and they showed some Archoil products and also said it would replace zddp.

But i dont know..

Turtle: Yes i know some mustang owners here in sweden run heavy duty diesel oil made for like excavators and such.

My engine builder recommended the Rotella oil for my motor so that's what I stuck with. I'm sure there's other oil out there that will work, but this is what he wanted me to use so that's what I'm sticking with. Also its very easy to get good diesel oil just about anywhere.

Info on that:

But i dont know..

HANSEN RACING sells Zink additiv (# EDE 1074)

// Thomas

Well Thomas I just got some New oil from Hansen Racing. He told me to take his total 10-50 type because of My engien is a Stroker 408" [sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][THUMBS UP SIGN] His a super Guy [sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min E2303 med Tapatalk

I got a 15w40 truck oil from a local agriculture shop, i gave the supplier Agrol a call and he pointed me in the right direction.

Apparentley they sell a lot of that oil to people who use them in old street and strip cars and it is packed with zddp and other good stuff.

Back