Why a 71,72,73?

timsweet

The year was 1984, just got my license I was looking for a car, preferably a Mustang. My uncle, who has had Mustangs all his life, called me and said he had two 73 Mach 1' s and wanted to know if I was interested in one. My dad and I went to his house to look at them. He had them parked in his back yard, one was red and the other was bronze. They both had Cragar SS's. Neither one was perfect but the only thing I saw was bright red and cragars. I purchased it that day and still have it. Ryan

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1983 or so was looking at 66 fast backs I could afford, then it shifted to 69's........looked at one 72 at a price I could afford and that was it.......my high school car.

Ran for a year, then the engine let go.

Got it running right before graduation. Had a fight with my girlfriend. Both of us wanted to drive to graduation so both of us did....in our own cars.

Looking back all seems so silly. But hell high school......

Still have the car. Basket case. Ordered some parts to hopefully start it.

Good times.

I love the 71-73 style because it ties me to my past when I bought a 1972 Mach 1. Special ordered that car with few options because I couldn't afford to load it up. The day I got it on 5/19/72 I saw my first 71 Boss 351 and had no idea what it was or how rare it would be in the future.

Got married and put a trailer hitch on my 72 Mach 1 and pulled a UHaul trailer from north Texas to Houston where I worked for almost 40 years. Now I have a Boss 351 as close to the same color of my original 72 Mach 1 and the wife I started out with all those years ago. A Mustang is more than a car to me, it played a important part of who I was and who I am today. Although my original car doesn't likely exist today, it's B1 sibling is just as much a part of my family now.

image.jpeg.e655e1c05d57d99175809e5ab11f9729.jpeg

I chose the 72 Coupe specifically for the reason that the Mustang "Purists" hate them. Go to any Mustang show and you see a few of these years if you're lucky. I knew I was going to build a restomod Pro Touring car, and for what I wanted the 72 Coupe was perfect. I sold a 96 GT Convertible to begin the build and don't regret it one bit. I tend to like things others tend to hate.

It happened when my late father left me some money. All was ok for a few years until I hit the age of 41 and then I went a bit crazy. All of a sudden my old Lotus Esprit wasn't enough. So I started buying guitars every few weeks. Over then period of a year I bought 24 Strats and Les Pauls, but that still wasn't enough. So I bought a Marshall stack. But that still didn't scratch the itch.

Then I saw this on ebay:

Mustang_ad_zpsgsjpiemr.jpg

A few years have passed now and I've calmed down and am enjoying the rewards of my midlife crisis. And I've got an understanding Wife!

Mark