What's this car worth?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasquatch20

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible 351c 2V, factory ac,and power windows
I'very always been a fan of the 71-73 mustangs and my in-laws who own an auto shop got 1 to fix up a bit and sell and i'm trying to get an idea of what it might be worth because it has some options that i'm not finding on many others. It's a 1972 Mustang Convertible 351c 2V with factory ac, power windows, and around 47,000 original miles with a clean title. It has the lights in the grill and color matched front bumper, no front or rear spoilers or stickers and is yellow with a black top and I didn't find any bad rust spots (minimal rust in the trunk and no rusty floorboards or wheelwells from what I could see. They got it for a really good price and I think I could pick it up for $10k or less.

I forgot to mention that the body is in great shape and the only unoriginal thing I noticed right off is it has a cd player and newer door speakers (no loud thumping system). This has been ownew by 2 people, both from the same family, and for the last 15 years was a "Sunday Driver" for the most part.

Post some photos of the car. The price is not bad depending the condition of the car. AC and power windows are a plus if they work. Make sure you check it closely for rust. If you post some photos you will get a lot more feedback from members.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll see if I can get some pics next time I'm down there. The ac doesn't work currently, but he's fixing that (as mentioned they own an auto shop) and 3 of the 4 power windows work (the rear passenger side one doesn't currently but he was going to look at that too).

The rust is expensive, or the price? I don't know for sure what they'll sell it to me for, just that it'll be under 10, unless I have him do some other work to it (thinking about an intake and 4bbl, dual exhaust, and a mild cam to help wake it up a bit). According to the door sticker it has an FMX transmission and 2.75 rear end. I'll put it on the lift at their shop so I can get a good look at everything underneath when I get a chance. Thanks for the info, I had a 73 fastback a few years ago but it needed more work than I could afford and I didn't have anywhere to keep it so had to let it go. Now we're moving and i'll have a lot more garage space and this one seems to be in a lot better shape.

Considering the Utah climate, a 72 vert with that mileage for under 10K sounds pretty reasonable and worthy of serious consideration - even more so with being owned by 2 family members and then there is the service garage aspect (assuming they know what they are doing).

Pics would be nice, but you could do a whole lot worse for a nice cruiser.

They just finished replacing a worn ball joint and tie rod end and got it aligned. He's going to sell it to me for around $7500 all stock (except for new wheels and tires they put on). I got a Marti Report the other day, I uploaded it here for you guys to look it over and tell me what you think (only thing is the interior was apparently supposed to be white and is tanish comfort weave instead ). I'm going to go take it for a drive tomorrow night and as long as everything checks out it will be mine.:D

Marti report.pdf

Attachments

• Marti report.pdf
    303.6 KB · Views: 21
They just finished replacing a worn ball joint and tie rod end and got it aligned. He's going to sell it to me for around $7500 all stock (except for new wheels and tires they put on). I got a Marti Report the other day, I uploaded it here for you guys to look it over and tell me what you think (only thing is the interior was apparently supposed to be white and is tanish comfort weave instead ). I'm going to go take it for a drive tomorrow night and as long as everything checks out it will be mine.:D
Nice options. power windows are a plus on a vert and AC. Looks like a nice price for a vert if the rust is minimal.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the description: Yellow with sport lamps grille, 351, no spoilers or stickers, black top and power windows...... I got one of those!! :)

As a point of reference I purchased a 73 yellow vert last year on eBay with almost the same equipment less the power windows. Mine has tilt column. He had put Performer 4-V intake and carb on and came with brand new tires and wheels and the original tires and hub caps along with a new top in the box. It was also a California car with 48,000 miles. I paid $7,200 and had to transport to N.C. for another $1,200. So the price you are paying sounds right on. My interior is near perfect was inside most of it's life not driven the last 25 years.

That's a good looking car. I'll post some pics in the next couple days. The interior isn't quite as nice as yours, but still good for the age.

I accidentally posted these pics in another thread before I realized it wasn't this one. I drove it today, they rebuilt the carburetor and it fired up first try and ran great. I'll be going by the bank today to make a withdrawal. By the way, turns out the interior really is white it just had seat covers on it when I looked at it before. :D

20160917_092942.jpg

20160917_093007.jpg

20160917_092956.jpg

20160917_093024.jpg

I would head to the bank also. When you get the car I tried everything to clean the upholstery, Blue coral, magic erasers, alcohol, soap and water and what did the best was lacquer thinner. Seats, door panels were night and day different. I even took a tooth brush to the comfort weave inserts and mico fiber towels to wipe off. Sounds harsh but it does seem to have great results and did not make the vinyl hard or brittle. Stay off the hard plastic like the console it will melt the plastic. Just the vinyl parts. Also cleaned the top well.

Great score another yellow California vert on the Forum. Now you will have to go to the Yellow Mustang Forum and register.

The purchase is done. The only bad part is we're waiting for our new home to be finished and already sold our old home so I have to leave it at their shop for the next couple weeks before I get to take it home. I do plan on taking for a few drives in the meantime but want to be able to get in it and go whenever I want to.

Back