Change Shifter Boot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yancy55

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 - original owner
Need to change my shifter boot on my 71 with center console. Do I need to remove the console? Thanks

Need to change my shifter boot on my 71 with center console. Do I need to remove the console? Thanks
Maybe not. You may be able to just remove the big bezel that surrounds the shifter. That should give you enough access.

Maybe not. You may be able to just remove the big bezel that surrounds the shifter. That should give you enough access.
Does the big bezel snap off? Is it held in place with clips??

It has been a whille since I have looked at mine, but I believe there are 2 screws in the ask tray well that come out, then the front is held in with tabs. So, you remove the 2 screws, lift the rear end then slide it back and up.

Don't force it. I may be wrong.

It has been a whille since I have looked at mine, but I believe there are 2 screws in the ask tray well that come out, then the front is held in with tabs. So, you remove the 2 screws, lift the rear end then slide it back and up.

Thanks so much....will give it a try

KC is correct.

You will have to disconnect the wires also

I did not know they made repo boots where did you find one especially for the rectangle shifter? Do you have the flat plastic plate that goes around the boot to fill in the hole?
I have a Boss 351 and am not sure if boot is the same as regular Mustangs/Mach 1.....You can get pretty close to original from Mustangs Unlimited or go to Hurst website. I have the original plate that came from the factory as I ordered the car new on Dec. 24, 1970.

Thank you gentlemen....you were correct.....2 screws above the ashtray, unhook wires and off it came.....

I did not know they made repo boots where did you find one especially for the rectangle shifter? Do you have the flat plastic plate that goes around the boot to fill in the hole?
I have a Boss 351 and am not sure if boot is the same as regular Mustangs/Mach 1.....You can get pretty close to original from Mustangs Unlimited or go to Hurst website. I have the original plate that came from the factory as I ordered the car new on Dec. 24, 1970.
You do have a link to the boot you purchased? Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure the closest you can get is the 70 boot

It is not rounded at the top

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=949

Pretty sure the closest you can get is the 70 boot

It is not rounded at the top

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=949
That is the correct boot. I have one in my car now I bought from Don.

mike

Back