TCP 4 Link Rear Suspension Opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
351C 4v
I am looking for feedback from anyone that has experience with the Total Control Products 4 link rear suspension unit. What was good, what was bad, and any other info you think would be useful in deciding if this is worth doing to a 73 convertible with a 351c that will be used almost exclusively as a weekend driver. I'm not real concerned about keeping the car stock, and I would likely have a local shop do the install. My goal would be to improve to ride and handling, and just plain making the car more fun to drive. Let me know what you think of this, or if there is a better option available.

Scott

I am looking for feedback from anyone that has experience with the Total Control Products 4 link rear suspension unit. What was good, what was bad, and any other info you think would be useful in deciding if this is worth doing to a 73 convertible with a 351c that will be used almost exclusively as a weekend driver. I'm not real concerned about keeping the car stock, and I would likely have a local shop do the install. My goal would be to improve to ride and handling, and just plain making the car more fun to drive. Let me know what you think of this, or if there is a better option available.

Scott
Search on the user autoedit on here and YouTube. He walked through the install.

My only concern would be exhaust routing out the back as it will be tight with all the extra stuff over the axle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option is the Street or Track 3 link, I have already installed the front setup in 2 of my own cars. I recently decided to do the 3 link on one of those cars and have had numerous discussions with SOT about it just waiting to get the car on the rostessire this winter. What I like about the SOT setup is the ability to run the exhaust through the back. Although it says 65-70- It will work on our cars just like the TCP setup which also says 65-70.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Rear-Bilstein-3-Link-System-pr-24572.html

Heres my install video for the front setup

I had looked at SOT, and I think I would prefer it, but didn't realize it could be applied to our years. I need to replace the springs and shocks, so now would be the time if I am going that route, but I'm still very much on the fence. Thanks for the input.

Scott

Pretty sure the PO before me replaced the front coils springs (check the binder of receipts) making your car very soft riding up front, a little too much for my liking... Definitely needs some performance tuning on that suspension to make it a more enjoyable driving experience. Good luck in your choices...

Yeah, looking at the receipt binder that came with the car, it looks like the front springs are a generic, 65-73 front spring application, definitely not correct, and the rear springs had been rebuilt. My first inclination was to go with Eaton and restore back to the factory comp suspension that came with the car. Then I started looking at the coil over systems and my imagination took over. I think you guys helped me off the ledge and I will probably go with stock. For a weekend cruiser that's likely all I need. I appreciate being able to use the forum to bounce ideas off of. Keeps me on the straight and narrow and not throwing my money away....

Thanks!

Scott

IF I were going the resto-mod route, without doubt I would spend the big bucks and go with a 3 or 4 link system at the rear and coil over up front with 4 wheel discs of course, BUT for a weekend driver that is mostly stock and from my own experience, go with Eaton Springs. They have the exact spring for your car's weight and equipment, unlike the aftermarket junk that is being sold as "correct"

Having said that, I did replace my front end control arms with a Scott Drake kit that worked out very well. I wasn't too worried about the "correct paint finish" (extra cash) which I could have bought. In this case I did return the springs from the kit as they were way too tall and went back to my original take off's which proved to still be good.

It really all comes down to what YOU want and how much YOU want to spend.........without p***ing the wife off!!

Good luck with it.

Geoff.

Back