What's your MPG?

Thin Lizzy

Just wondering what you're getting to the gallon on your 71-73?

I'm running a low spec 302 2V with a standard Autolite 2 barrel carb and am getting 24mpg, which seems ok for these things. I got the timing sorted recently too and it's pulling nicely now.

What are you getting?

Mark

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to average 0 mpg? Cuz thats where I think I'm at. lol. Never calculated but I know it can't be good fuel mileage.

Also is that US mpg or Imperial MPG? That makes a huge difference.

1971 Mustang Grande, 351 Cleveland 2v, C6, 9"

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Weiand Xcelerator intake

-Long Tube Headers

-Boss Hogg "Street Bandit"

My Build

Is it possible to average 0 mpg? Cuz thats where I think I'm at. lol. Never calculated but I know it can't be good fuel mileage.

That makes me feel good, I'm getting double what you're getting.:P

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

That makes me feel good, I'm getting double what you're getting.:P

rofl rofl

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

I still haven't gotten my speedometer cable installed, and I've gone through roughly 2 tankfuls of gas since I've owned it.

Surely, that's got to account for something less than 0 mpg in some circles. lollerz

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

7 in the City and 11 on the highway unless I am really beating on it, then 3 in the city and a tiny bit more on the highway

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Averaged 14.25 over the 2,550 miles in my '73 Grande' on 2016 Hot Rod Power Tour. Kinda dismal really for a bone stock original 302 auto car. I thought they did better than that. We were hitting the gas pump every 200 miles.

I'm running a low spec 302 2V with a standard Autolite 2 barrel carb and am getting 24mpg, which seems ok for these things. I got the timing sorted recently too and it's pulling nicely now.

What are you getting?

What are you getting?

What are you getting?

US mpg.

Hey Thin Lizzy, Off topic, but do you have Marti report for that car? I see the Mach hood on convertible. Mine has one too and I believe some previous owner did a swap. Mine does not show on Marti although others here tell me you could order it as a option.

Around 12 city and 18 freeway but I have overdrive. Shifts from 3.89 to 3.03 rear when car is at 40mph.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

I average around 9. Before I put in the OD I was getting closer to 7. Most of my driving is pretty 'spirited' since I don't drive the Mustang much. (Signature has full specs - 351c 4v comp 270 and tripower)

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Hey Thin Lizzy, Off topic, but do you have Marti report for that car? I see the Mach hood on convertible. Mine has one too and I believe some previous owner did a swap.

Yes, it's none original and not on the Marti report. But it's staying as it looks cool!

Back on topic...

Mark

I average around 9. Before I put in the OD I was getting closer to 7. Most of my driving is pretty 'spirited' since I don't drive the Mustang much. (Signature has full specs - 351c 4v comp 270 and tripower)

Thats about what I figure too, the car doesn't see highway much and I usually drive it just to hear the exhaust roar.

Jealous about the OD btw.

-Fitech EFI

-Comp Cams 284hr

-Aussie Heads

-Long Tube Headers

My Build

All kidding aside, I'm actually optimistic that I might see something north of 20-22 mpg, since I swapped in an AOD to replace the flogged FMX, and have 3.00 gears in back. It could even go higher once I get the fuel injection installed.

The irony is if that's the case, my 45 year old hot rod will see better fuel mileage than my 4 year old truck that computes my estimated mpg and flashes the 'ECONO' light on my dashboard whenever I let off the go pedal while I'm still rolling.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Last time I checked, it was 6.6 MPG mostly city for a '71 J code 429 4 speed with 3.50 traction-lok rear. The engine has a Holley, cam, headers, MSD, the usual performance trickery. I rather enjoy getting gas though because one or two people will always walk up to check out the car and reminisce about the past.

All kidding aside, I'm actually optimistic that I might see something north of 20-22 mpg, since I swapped in an AOD to replace the flogged FMX, and have 3.00 gears in back. It could even go higher once I get the fuel injection installed.

The irony is if that's the case, my 45 year old hot rod will see better fuel mileage than my 4 year old truck that computes my estimated mpg and flashes the 'ECONO' light on my dashboard whenever I let off the go pedal while I'm still rolling.

You will get nice gas mileage, My 69 vert restomod has fuel injected 302, AOD and 3:55 Tru-Trak rear end. Last year I drove it on a weekend trip for a few days ('bout 450 miles in all) and averaged 24 mpg overall.

You will get nice gas mileage, My 69 vert restomod has fuel injected 302, AOD and 3:55 Tru-Trak rear end. Last year I drove it on a weekend trip for a few days ('bout 450 miles in all) and averaged 24 mpg overall.

Sweet! That's what I like to hear. ::thumb::

Eric

mach1sig2.gif