turn signal sw replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
the only thing i see it getting the plug down the column. it's a non tilt column.

do the turn signal sw normally come with wires to be plugged in or come completed.

so basically how do u run the wires with the end plug attached as i see the replacement sw in the pic of catalog.

problem: rt signal is fine, left most times don't work and need to jiggle or flip sw up/down to work.

also, the white collar in the center with the single pin, i don't see what it does.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, if you can't feed the connector through the column (try pulling the old one back through, if possible - taping a 'pull cord' onto the end, just in case it gets stuck you can pull it back down), you probably need to cut off the wires to the plug (a few inches above the plug, to give yourself something to reconnect), feed the wires through the column, then strip and reconnect them on the bottom end (using the supplied butt connectors that [should've] come with the switch).

I think the non-tilt columns might allow for pulling it through. Mine's a tilt column, so I'm not sure about the non-tilt units (stuffing it through the tilt mechanism is something that's just not made to happen).

Unless someone has a better way to do it, which hopefully they'll chime in with their instructions.

The white collar with the pin(s) is for the horn button, I believe. But then again, I have an aftermarket wheel which has an adapter for the horn button as well. I can't remember for sure if the horn goes through the signal switch circuit or the ignition switch circuit.

EDIT: Nope - nevermind. Looking at the switch again, those two plungers to the left of the white collar are the horn button contacts. I'm at a loss regarding the pin in the white center collar.

The pin has a tiny spring underneath it, Be careful. There should be a slot in the hub that your steering wheel bolts onto. The pin lines up with the slot for canceling your turn signal. I did drop the column down a bit for a better view. Just 4 nuts. Also make sure you emergency flasher button is not pulled out. That seriously messes with everything while troubleshooting.

Back